UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss travertine mosaic for wet room advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

oldgit

hi, i been out for around a year now with a surgically broken leg and possibly wont get back tiling as i have to have knee and ankle surgery in maybe a year or so, so i wont be doing this job but want to advise and assist an old customer.

the room is around 2.2 mts x 1.6 mts split down the middle with a wall creating a toilet and shower area, with a doorway (no door) into the shower part.
this is downstairs on screed and plaster walls.
the hallway outside is tiled with 450mm travertine and these will continue into these 2 rooms with the trap being the furthest point away, the trap is around 600mm wide and will be set around 200mm from the back wall.
it is all a bit of a pain to get the falls in right but i can help him over that with a bit of hassle.
my main concern is the 75x40mm ish mosaic set in a brick style he wants on the walls.
they have a mesh back that is the stiff plastic type and they are machine cut square edged from wickes so there not all the same thickness although there not terrible, they are untreated and unfilled.
there is only a very small window in the toilet area and an electric vent in the shower area so ventilation may or may not be adequate.
i personally wouldnt use them in a wet room nor would i use trav on the floor but thats just me.
how can the mosaic be fully sealed especially the edges, you can fold them along the long edge to seal but not the short edge going across the bond, they are fairly stiff on the mesh and could possibly weaken and and fall apart if not really careful.

i have a list of things id like recommended him for the job.
he doesnt want an expensive tanking system.

adhesives and grout for both the floors and walls.
a cheap paint on tanking method for both walls and floor.
what sealers should be used, ive always used HG by preference but i know things have changed.
also a good latex to build up the floor in the shower area as this is an old extension and is about 6mm low and i need a bit of height to get the falls or should i use an adhesive capable of going to 30mm or so (this can be a pain with heavy trav what with sinking and sliding and that it has to have a fall.
is this a really bad choice of tile for a wet room, i think it is.
i just believe that especially the mosaic wont get fully sealed and once sodden will remain this way, there could be very slight lips where water could soak in or is there a method of fully sealing them.
if im honest and was doing this job i would probably walk away as i see it as potentially a job that will fail at some point, even if all the tanking was top end i believe the tiles could be a very weak link.
as i say i wont be physically fully doing the job but will be there to show how, i will no doubt be doing more than im expecting to do but as i cant really get down and up properly it will be a real pain especially it such a tight area.
any advice very much appreciated.

OG.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to travertine mosaic for wet room advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Advice needed, noticed some grout that was cracked and tiles becoming loose in our en suite wet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.