Discuss Travertine not square. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Arrived at customers house this morning to find dots of lipstick on the tiles I set the previous day. Apparently the customer want’s the tiles changed because the tiles do not have sharp enough corners.
The tiles are Topps 30x30 honed and filled travertine @ £1.60 a tile.
There are only a handful of tiles that I would class as nearly perfect. The rest have chips, dents, holes, corners missing etc. A few of them just disintegrate when they are picked up, and a few just snapped while I was laying them. One of the tiles did have nice corners, but the pressure of grouting caused one of the corners to cave in (about 2mm). I grouted it and it looked fine to me.

I have just got a call from the builder and he wants me to replace the marked tiles.

To be honest I did a cut for a corner tile up by the ceiling. It was my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] attempt and cutting it and the inner most corner just broke away again. I thought to myself that will be ok when it’s grouted, but this is one of the tiles I now have to replace!

I thought I would be out of this place tomorrow, but it seems I’ll be there at least another day.

Surely travertine should not be perfect, but what is acceptable?

p.s. I also had to replace a few tiles whilst setting, as they were out of true!

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Arrived at customers house this morning to find dots of lipstick on the tiles I set the previous day. Apparently the customer want’s the tiles changed because the tiles do not have sharp enough corners.
The tiles are Topps 30x30 honed and filled travertine @ £1.60 a tile.
There are only a handful of tiles that I would class as nearly perfect. The rest have chips, dents, holes, corners missing etc. A few of them just disintegrate when they are picked up, and a few just snapped while I was laying them. One of the tiles did have nice corners, but the pressure of grouting caused one of the corners to cave in (about 2mm). I grouted it and it looked fine to me.

I have just got a call from the builder and he wants me to replace the marked tiles.

To be honest I did a cut for a corner tile up by the ceiling. It was my 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] attempt and cutting it and the inner most corner just broke away again. I thought to myself that will be ok when it’s grouted, but this is one of the tiles I now have to replace!

I thought I would be out of this place tomorrow, but it seems I’ll be there at least another day.

Surely travertine should not be perfect, but what is acceptable?

p.s. I also had to replace a few tiles whilst setting, as they were out of true!

I have had problems with Topps trav in the past, but for me it was more different sizes and thicknesses, nothing as bad as your describing. I would go back to topps myself. Personally they have always been really good with me in situations like this. That said I have never gone in there shouting and screaming at them which helps I think. But give them a try.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
why did she use lipstick to mark the tiles?.....bit strange..lol

yes there is some right crap out there, i fitted some a couple of weeks ago, the back of the tile was full of holes, must have used a couple of bags of addy just filling them in, you had to be so carefull just picking them up....i allways piont it out to the customer, to cover myself..

just to add these were some rubbish she got off tinternet.....havnt used any topps stuff..

i finished a bathroom with the same tiles from topps last week first and last time am buying trave from topps i only went there coz they had stock in and i forgot to order them from my normal place. They was a nightmare to work with very poor quality and alot of filler. 2012-11-09 11.46.16.jpg

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I've not heard back from the woman or the builder, but I did change 2 tiles, and I sanded/polished a couple more! One of the tiles had filler on the very corner of it. It had obviously fallen off the tile when I was cleaning them ready for grouting. This woman must have been on her hands and knees checking every tile. She missed the one with another chipped corner! However, when I grouted it, it blended in with all the filler! I hate it when customers see tiles before they are grouted.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine not square. in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB