UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss travertine onto floor and walls, advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

robertson60

Hey guys, needing some advice in advance of fitting my 600 x 400 honed and filled trav in a few weeks when i get off this oil rig.
room at the moment consists of screeded floor (80mm with UFH intalled within) with walk in shower area formed again within the screed, walls are moisture resistant plasterboard.

Am i correct in saying floor process would be, prime (SBR), tank (Mapei kit already purchased) then lay tiles or should i be adding matting material into it??

walls being primed (again SBR), tanking at shower area, fit tiles?

seems to be conflicting answers regarding sealing !! i thought i would just seal once i had completely finished all work including grouting, but some seal the tiles prior to and after fitting, think i read that sealing before might affect the grout sticking?

tiles will be fitted brick bond on walls, would have prefered 600 x 600 on floor but couldnt find any nearby, that would have kept grout lines all round the room, is it best practice to have the floor laid so the grout lines are straight as you walk in the room?.

still tempted to fit a few niches near shower area a full tile size, depends on the quality of edges or mitres, and also what mrs thinks.

Im a joiner not a tiler but drilling for oil at the moment lol, just to confuse things even more. done some tiling in my time, and having 3 weeks off at a time im in no rush, want to leave a room that has the wow factor.
will post pics

any advice or comments would be great guys.

thanks for a great site.

B

bugs183

Tile the walls first before the walls, if you drop a tile or scratch one it'll have to be replaced.
I'd avoid any niches as they are big water trap and a nightmare to tile, you want the water in the waste pipe as fast as possible, not lingering around on shelves, especially with limestone.
Prime with sbr, 3 dolute as instructions. Get a paint roller and apply the Mapei kit, make sure all the joints and corners are protected with water proof tape.
I'd use a standard setting (slow) cement based adhesive, this will do both floors and walls, don't use tubbed!
Fix the tlles and as above give it all a clean down and apply the sealer with a sponge, if it absorbs quickly give it another coat.
Grout, leave to dry then seal again, if it seems porous apply another coat of sealer.

R

robertson60

Tile the walls first before the walls, if you drop a tile or scratch one it'll have to be replaced.
I'd avoid any niches as they are big water trap and a nightmare to tile, you want the water in the waste pipe as fast as possible, not lingering around on shelves, especially with limestone.
Prime with sbr, 3 dolute as instructions. Get a paint roller and apply the Mapei kit, make sure all the joints and corners are protected with water proof tape.
I'd use a standard setting (slow) cement based adhesive, this will do both floors and walls, don't use tubbed!
Fix the tlles and as above give it all a clean down and apply the sealer with a sponge, if it absorbs quickly give it another coat.
Grout, leave to dry then seal again, if it seems porous apply another coat of sealer.
Cheers for the advice re niches, just trying to avoid the Shapiro conditioner clutter on the floor etc.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to travertine onto floor and walls, advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.