Discuss Travertine or similar for a shower floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

Freeze

It's a common misconception that all polished stones are slippery, most decent stone suppliers will be able to give you the slip resistance rating of their stones, on larger contracts I have had stone tested, you could do this if you have concerns. Their are also products on the market that will enhance the slip resistance of a stone, widely used over in the states, I haven't used them personally so can't vouch for how good these are.

S

Stef

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393167107.895588.jpg

Not used it personally but might be worth a try..

Travertine etc is very popular for shower floors. Anything too slippy should be avoided though.
Yep that will be very slippery. I had a customer insist on it in a wetroom, and although she's never mentioned it, I know for a fact that its like an ice rink when wet!
The resin filled and polished travertine that the customer wants are the same as some that I put in a shower room last year for another customer (but not in the actual shower itself). They are very smooth and do get quite slippery wen wet.
Why not change to 50x50 travertine mosaics. In the shower area?
the joints will give the grip.
They dont want grouted joints.These tiles butt up very nicely. The customers will only accept grout rubbed into the tiny gaps between butted up tiles in the shower ubicle floor.
Can you not Hone those in shower floor?
Do you mean rub off the shiny coat? I think they can do this at the place that supplies the stone. I dont know if it would stain easily though. Does anybody know?
I'm in Ibiza, Spain. My Spanish isnt great and I was running into trouble when trying to ask about this with the supplier. They kept telling me that they couldnt do any of their work at my customers house and I kept telling them that I didnt want them to come to the house and that I just wanted to buy the tiles already prepared with some sort of non slip.
It's a common misconception that all polished stones are slippery, most decent stone suppliers will be able to give you the slip resistance rating of their stones, on larger contracts I have had stone tested, you could do this if you have concerns. Their are also products on the market that will enhance the slip resistance of a stone, widely used over in the states, I haven't used them personally so can't vouch for how good these are.
I have seen some non slip products advertised but didn't know if they would be suitable and if they are really as good as they are cracked up to be. I am nowhere near as experienced in tiling as many of you fellas so I would be reluctant to try something that nobody on this forum has used. I also don't know if they are available down here in Spain anyway.

O

Old Mod

Do you mean rub off the shiny coat? I think they can do this at the place that supplies the stone. I dont know if it would stain easily though. Does anybody know
yes that's exactly it.
if they can do it in the store it's your best bet,esp if it's only handful of tiles, by the time u've got honing powder, pads and a machine to do it with. It won't be cost effective once u factor in labour as well.
U can still protect them against staining with a sealer

Stone Impregnator | Stone Sealer | Stain-Gard SB (Impregnator) | Stone Protection Products | From Nu-Life Stone Care

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine or similar for a shower floor? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first timers here... I am tiling my bathrooms and prefer the look & neatness of tiling...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB