UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss travertine sealant around shower /bath area? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steve6710

new to tiling, bought a few tools and having a go doing a few jobs for family members.
fitted a new bath with mixer shower above it, used mapei white flexible adhesive and mapei beige flexible grout is to go in.

tiled but not grouted yet, primed the bare plaster wall with sbr after 3 weeks of plaster drying, the walls were a mess so i straightened them with a skim. i'd never even heared of travertine until this week. it looks good on the wall but i have seen the porus nature of them and i am concerned that the shower end of the bath may get water through the tiles.

is a few coats of ltp matt sealer enough to stop water getting through the travertine?
do all coats need applying before the grout?
will an anti mould forever white type expensive silicone bathroom sealant provide an adequate seal around the bath on the travertine or is there another sealant i should use around the bath

:mad2: thought tiling was a case of sticking squares to wall........2 weeks later:mad2:

I

Ian

not tanked! is there a post tiling solution to this drama of water penetration in the shower area?

Not really, however, at least you have used cement based adhesive. The walls could have done with being tanked, but it's done now, did you back skim the tiles as well as troweling adhesive on the walls? Im sure you noticed the holes in the back of the tiles.

S

steve6710

i did back skim the tiles that had larger holes but some of the tighter tiles were just squeezed onto the full bed, does it help that i nearly bust a blood vessel forcing each tile into position and ensured a squeeze of adhesive around the perimeter of each one? can you advise as to which sealant would be most beneficial to the waterproofing aspect of the travertine at this stage if any or should i apply a little cemtex to the room and run! is standard bathroom silcone sealant adequate for the bath seal?
if i didnt have 4 kids and times were not so tough i would stick to plastering!!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to travertine sealant around shower /bath area? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hey all, New to the forum so go easy ;) I've finished tiling my bathroom floor with honed...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.