UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Travertine shower tray in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stonegallery

Hi

we have installed numerous travertine shower trays with success , however ... Recently after a year or so i have had people coming back to us saying they have cracked ??? ... They have always been solid bed fixed with white flexi and we have used ditra matting too as an extra precaution ... Anyone have any ideas why this is happening ??????

Also has anyone had problems with marble that is backed with a glued mesh ?? These seem to fail alot ? Especially when used with underfloor heating ...

Be greatful if anyone has any ideas ????

G

Gazzer

As for the mesh on marble. My way of thinking is that it is there to add strength from the brittle nature of the stone. Now how this mesh is attached is another thing ? do they glue the back of the stone and then lay the mesh on or is the mesh glued and then laid on?
If it is the first option then surely the whole back of the stone has a layer of glue.....now when the UFH comes on , does the heat affect the glue. Plus surely the tile adhesive is sticking to the glue and not the stone ?? I am sure someone here has a better answer though.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Can you show us a picture of the shower tray, cracked etc.

I have the same opinion on the mesh/glue as Neal. I think how some of these are produced is, tiles put face down, mesh dipped in glue, and laid on. I've seen mosaic sheetsjust fall to pieces simply by picking them up. Makes me wonder if the back of the stone is clean and dust free before applying.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine shower tray in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.