Discuss Travertine tile repair- Bad installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

enduro

I thought i would put this in the guest area so everybody could see this.
I was called out to do a repair on a damaged travertine tile on a kitchen floor. This floor was laid a year ago,and two hole appeared in one of the tiles. You can see black marks in the photo, they called the tiler back to replace it.
He said he could repair the hole, so he filled it with silicone :mad2: this is totally the wrong thing to repair natural stone with. You can see in the photo once the tile was removed the white on the floor where the silicone was squirted into the hole...Once i carefully remove the tile with the Fein Multimaster without damaging any other tiles i found the tiles had been Dot & Dabbed, you can see in the photo the grey adhesive dotted on the back of the tiles...also he used grey adhesive. This is not the correct way to lay tiles, and white flexible tile adhesive should have been used with natural stone..
As you can see in the photo i used white adhesive and did a solid bed of adhesive onto the floor, and also adhesive was applied onto the back of the tiles to fill and holes in the back of the tile. Once laid it was grouted and i had a very happy customer. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Travertine tile repair 001.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Travertine tile repair 002.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 103
  • Travertine tile repair 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 106
  • Travertine tile repair 004.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 104
  • Travertine tile repair 005.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 108
  • Travertine tile repair 009.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Travertine tile repair 008.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Travertine tile repair 007.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Travertine tile repair 006.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 106

Reply to Travertine tile repair- Bad installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi there. I recently tiled a shower floor with a basalt mosaic tile. I used kerapoxy for the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Travertine tile repair- Bad installation
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.