Discuss Travertine tiled bathroom photos in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

topcarper

Hi, Here are some photos of a recent bathroom refurb i had done,the guy who did the work has done a nice job after a few hiccups, can i ask does anyone know how essential it is that the gap at the bottom of the travertine tiles where they meet the floor tiles has to be siliconed? Its just that the guy who did the work didnt silicone in some areas befor he fitted the vanity unit, also there is one or two tiles fitted where he didnt use spacers so are tiled straight down onto the floor tile, there are only a couple like this that arent even whole tiles but smaller cuts

Thanks

Attachments

• 20130418_194435.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 20130418_194824.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 248
  • 20130418_194214.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 254
  • 20130418_194531.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 20130418_194242.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 20130409_202654.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 220
  • 20130409_202751.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 212
Hi Welcome to TF.

As for your question being as you have a shower overhead there will be moisture/condensation left on the tiles after use (once condensed onto tiles it will 'run south'), your extractor fan will draw alot of it out though.
I always recommend silicon sealing around sinks, baths, joins between walls & where walls meet floors.

Assuming the floor is level you should not have any splashed water running off anywhere, but in the instant of an accident the water may creep between the floor and wall join.

On the 2 small cut tiles I am not quite sure what you mean.. can you photograph it?

T

topcarper

If you look at the 4th photo on the floor right in the corner by the bath, what silly error.....

I know mate, tell me about it, luckily its only a really small section that doesnt line up, it was done while i was at work and there is underfloor heating there as well, to be honest it took the guy ages to do as per some of my previous posts and he made a few fundamental errors like buying 3mtrs of underfloor heating instead of just two which meant he had to lose some of it under the toilet and vanity unit as obviously you cant cut it down, so he had to siliconr the toilet to the floor rather than securing with screws as he couldnt guarantee not hitting the heating cable, he says he has done it loads of times and never had a problem...we shall see, i live alone so not a lot of foor traffic in there anyway

With regard to framing the window, it was difficult in the sense that i wanted the offset brick pattern with a 5" overlap so whatever way it was done you would have always ended up with an awkward cut, overall i think it looks ok, the cabinet is a bit high up the wall but thats my fault as i gave him artistic licence to a degree, its a lesson learnt as i would probably in the future use different tradesmen for the different parts but then again that would work out even more expensive than a one man band

T

topcarper

Hi Welcome to TF.

As for your question being as you have a shower overhead there will be moisture/condensation left on the tiles after use (once condensed onto tiles it will 'run south'), your extractor fan will draw alot of it out though.
I always recommend silicon sealing around sinks, baths, joins between walls & where walls meet floors.

Assuming the floor is level you should not have any splashed water running off anywhere, but in the instant of an accident the water may creep between the floor and wall join.

On the 2 small cut tiles I am not quite sure what you mean.. can you photograph it?

The small cuts are down by the side of the vanity unit in the opposite corner from the bath so not a problem with water getting down there, any areas where there is any moisture like around the bath and below it have been well and truely siliconed, i made sure there was a decent gap where the tiles meet the bath so that he could get a nice decent bead of silicone in there, mainly from what i read on here

Last edited by a moderator:
T

topcarper

Should have used a loose wire kit, 3m2 instead of 2, hope you paid an amateur price.

I paid a reasonable price for the work, it wasnt top dollar but at the same time it wasnt dirt cheap, the guy i originally wanted to do the work wasnt available in my time frame so i used a guy who came recommended, he ended up taking so long to do the work i may as well have waited for the original guy who's work i had seen elsewhere, still its done now and i guess you can pick anything to pieces, the few people who have actually seen it in the flesh have said it looks good so i guess thats the bottom line, not everyone is a proffesional tiler and its one of the reasons i hate having tradesmen in my house cos even with a recommendation you can still end up with a crap job which in my opinion this isnt, it could have been an awful lot worse

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
it looks ok to me,no lips,he has spread the addy not dot and dabbed,the mosaics look fine,the niche looks fine.spacing looks ok,i would of bullnosed the trav around the window(it looks like real trav,pics aint superb,or my eyes;) ) it does look slightly odd around the window like what has been pointed out,but still looks fine.
all in all a pretty good job(from the photos)

T

topcarper

Thanks Widler, i think the photos make the window area look worse as it looks okay closer up, like i said it was a difficult one as i wanted the offset brick effect and the window isnt the size of two tiles so there was always going to be a small cut somewhere without losing the continual brick effect, i thought about bullnosing but had already set my sights on the brushed alluminium trim, i like the modern look of it and it matches the shower screen, its also on the studded section where the shower is, i think bullnosing might have looked a little bit old fashioned as everything is quite modular and straight without too many curves, sorry the pics are a bit low res but easier to upload that way

aytiling

TF
Arms
Nottingham
Job looks good to me, and I have been doing stone for 40 years, don't know why someone keeps calling it amateur? Windows are always done with full consultation with the owner, and I prefer the chrome look with Travi anyway. The trouble you have is that if you bull nose it, Travi these days is pretty pants from a lot of suppliers so tends to be loads of holes filled with resin and quite brittle so doesn't really lend itself to polishing over, so you picked the best option.

apologies if saying thats amateurish has put anyones nose out of joint but I cant go to a shopping centre toilet without pulling it to pieces in my head. Its what separates me from rest I suppose. ATD.

your not alone Cam.
I do this without realising :(

S

Stef

I thought UFH under cabinets and fittings was avoided not just because of fixings but also because it might overheat in that area if it was covered.

It can lead to condensation in the pan if ufh goes below the toilet.
Think you might have read before that the ufh was just flung in a heap under the bath etc as it was too long, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

T

Time's Ran Out

I think it's fabulous!
Fantastic job and everything the OP wants it to be!

Rolled up UFH!!
Bullnosing is old fashioned!!
Small cuts and poor setting out is fine!!
You have to be happy as any criticsm is unwarranted and he only put it on view to confirm his own thoughts - its crap and he doesn't want to be told.

And I never even bothered to look at the pictures.

I thought UFH under cabinets and fittings was avoided not just because of fixings but also because it might overheat in that area if it was covered.

True, the extra weight increases resistance in the wires which can cause it to overheat/burnout in the affected area. I would have swapped it for 2m kit, and fixed the toilet properly.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine tiled bathroom photos in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, sorry for the clunky thread title... Just over a year ago we had a side...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB