Discuss Travertine tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rookery

Presumably this is a timber floor such as t & g or chipboard over joists? Your ply overlay should be min 15mm thick WBP grade to comply with BS. Alternatively you could use a cement board such as Hardie. Ditra or the similar Durabase is an uncoupling membrane glued to the substrate onto which the tiles are glued. It is designed to prevent cracks in the tiles or grout and has waterproofing properties too. However, if the subfloor is not rigid and your prep is inadequate, products such as Ditra and flexi adhesive will not prevent cracks.

Somerset
I have always found that the best cutting of travertine (which has a habit of disintegrating in your hands) is to use a wet overhead electric cutter for all cuts - cleanest cut and minimal risk of causing tile to break.

However, any electric cutter will do a good job - although I find the dust generated by an angle grinder on travertine is hell (like a white cloud on everything) with a wet cutter most of the dust clogs up the waster tray in the cutter instead.

A manual cutter needs a lot of breaking power, and results in a lot of travertine disintegrating as you break it.

As for 5mm ply - no.no.no.no.lol!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Beginner DIY Tiler, I'm contemplating drilling (with ceramic tile carbide tipped drill bits)...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi - I ripped up laminate flooring on a concrete subfloor. It was my first DIY project and...
Replies
Views
I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB