Discuss Travertine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pts

Need some advise please ,
I overestimated one of my guys knowledge and he has laid 15mm thick travertine with slow set white adhesive but and has not back skimmed the tile, i know this because i can see the trowel marks coming through!!. Im hoping that as it is in a fairly damp cellar perhaps over a few months the "tiger striped " floor will look as good as it should but thought i would post this for more opinion. BTW there are 46 sqm and he has sealed it already

Hi. One of your guys ? Is he a tiler ? Are you a plumber ?

if he hasn't back buttered the tiles there will be weak spots in them too. I would have used rapid set adhesive however I think your first concern is exactly how damp the floor is and what measures you should have taken in your/his job prep before fixing a natural stone in a damp environment.
If there are tiger stripes there is also the possibility that he has used grey adhesive and told you white possible saving him some cash but its more than likely an issue with damp, using a natural stone and the fact the tiles have been sealed leaving any chance of the moisture being drawn out minimal.

Is this your house?

D

DHTiling

Any slow set can leach moisture that shows from the face of the tile. And most impregnators will allow the stone to breath.
IMO it being a travertine , then it will dry stripe free but are you happy with the job. ?

The problem of sealing a damp stone is that if the sealer is solvent based then it offers little protection as the solvent to water can prevent solvent penetration and that is the carrier.

Water based sealers or shall I say some can be used on damp stone aka freshly laid/not fully dry.

The main thing is , are you willing to leave them fixed.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Travertine in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
S
Ok so just putting this out there for a mate of mine to see if anyone would like to take on...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
Tilled an en-suite shower room about 7yrs ago, there is no window only an extractor fan. The...
Replies
Views
M
Hello anyone got any tips on sealing silver travertine prior to grouting? It has been laid for 1...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
J
I would be grateful for any advice you could give me. I have recently installed 600x450...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB