Discuss Trial By Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

TheRealRobG

I had a seemingly never-ending bathroom DIY experience which lasted several weeks from planning to (almost) completion. My first ever bathroom installation and tiling job - and probably my last for a good few years, too!
I couldn't have done it without the generous advice I got from this forum, so thanks to everyone here for kind help and guidance. It made all the difference!

Took a few piccies while I was doing it, and thought I might share them on here. I don't get much appreciation from the wife about what's involved anyway...

As you can see, it started off as a pretty hideous 1980s style bathroom with corroded gold finish fittings and a nasty green carpet. I thought the tiles were salvageable, but the wife thought otherwise, so rip 'em all out I did!

step01.jpg

step02.jpg

Unfortunately off with the tiles came most of the plasterboard, so I had to replace that, which took - bloody ages! I decided to use Aquapanel for most of the critical sections around the bath, toilet and shower.

For the shower I ran a sheet of polythene behind the Aquapanel and ran that down into the tray in front of the upstand to catch any stray moisture. I had to construct a basin support and toilet cistern box from scratch. I used a Geberit WC frame for the suspended toilet.

step03.jpg

step04.jpg

step05.jpg

step06.jpg

step07.jpg

step08.jpg

step09.jpg

step10.jpg

T

TheRealRobG

I'd decided to run round some mosaics to break up the larger tiles, and aimed at the level of the shower valve, so ran a baton round to leave the correct gap on all walls. I used a water-filled plastic tube as a level, and it worked a treat. I think a spinning laser might have been easier though!

step11.jpg

step12.jpg

At one point while screwing down the floorboards securely I managed to run a screw into a pipe, and had to tear them up in a hurry before stuffing a couple of dozen toilet rolls and towels under the floor cavity to soak it all up...

step13.jpg

step16.jpg

The tiling took an age - mostly because of the seemingly endless number of cuts I had to make. I was really pleased with the window. It came out exactly square along each edge, and I was able to apply a metal strip around it without any kinks. I'm pleased with the finish. I believe it was Homelux stainless strip. I actually ended up glueing it to the edge of the tiles using Araldite to make sure there were no gaps. Held it in place with a glue gun while the epoxy cured. Worked a treat. I cut the mitres on my tile cutter and finished them to size with a diamond file.

step14.jpg

step25.jpg

step26.jpg

T

TheRealRobG

After the wall tiling came the floor. After the pipe was fixed and the rest of the plumbing mods complete, I finished screwing down the 22mm chipboard, adding a few extra noggings here and there to prevent flexing.

Then I applied a layer of 12.5mm Aquapanel onto a bed of tile adhesive and screwed it down to the chipboard, checking that it was roughly level as I went.

Then I applied the DeviMat underfloor heating.

step17.jpg

And applied a 6-8mm layer of self-levelling compound to cover it and level the floor up. I ran a length of wooden dowel around the edge of the floor to contain the compound, held in place with glue gun adhesive.

step18.jpg

Once that was in thoroughly set (about a week later) I laid the floor tiles and grouted them with matching grout.

step23.jpg

I was quite pleased with my mitred edges and corner on the basin shelf which were done with a fairly basic, placticky circular tile cutter:

step19.jpg

step20.jpg

The shower valve. I used a Marflow ShowerPl8' for this as recommended by my plumber to keep the centres exactly in line. It worked perfectly.

step21.jpg

I found a great stainless steel wall mounted toilet brush made by Roper Rhodes which keeps everything off the floor just like the fittings.

step22.jpg

And voila! Finally all finished bar the underfloor heating being wired into the mains, which should be happening in the next couple of weeks with any luck!

step24.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TheRealRobG

Thanks!!! :blush2:

Nice to get appreciation from someone - the wife was just constantly nagging me to hurry up! :prrr:

I'm a computer boffin with an engineering degree actually, but I do have a passion for making things. Trouble is, I can only be arsed doing something once, then I get totally sick of it and vow never to do it again. One thing's for sure - I'd never make a living tiling or installing bathrooms - that lot took me weeks...!

C

Colour Republic

If you ever decide a change in career then you'd make it in this industry, I'd happily employ you, with practice comes speed, that really has blown me away that you don't work in the industry already. You even went out and bought professional tools i see from the Fat Max levels to the Makita to the professional painters skuttle, even your choice of materials and fittings is how they should be. Some of it is maybe a little over engineered but that's to be expected and to be honest how it should be for a lasting job.

Blown away I really am:thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Trial By Bathroom in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB