Discuss tricky tiles onto former and wetroom floor... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Hi All,
I was asked to fit these tiles onto the former and floor of this wetroom, being new to tiling formers I tried to work it out but always ended up with very small corners cut off...I think it would have been a knightmare, would anyone have attempted this one?

20131212_141645 (1).jpg floor.jpg former.jpg tiling.jpg

Customer is now going to buy mosaics! so hopefully they will be somewhat easier to lay...probably a stupid question but when using mosaics if they are the bigger ones would they need to by cut to lay on the former..I have read that the smaller ones do not as they 'mould' into the contours..Hope this is right, again any help very much appreciated..this room was fun to tile...not:lol:

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
Can be done. Move your watste cut out into the centre of one of the boards, this wil give a decent cut to the side of the tray.Not the easiest tile to use, but cut correctly will look very good.
If they are going to change to mosaics the size will depend on the type of tray.
If its a expanded foam type with cement on, the minimum size is 50mm.
Or if its solid ( impey for example) you can pretty much use what you like.

M

Mr Tiler

C

charlie1

Thanks mr t

Ok, to create a screed you need two things... Screed runners to form your screed.

to make a screed runner you need another two things, ... Dots

dots can be set using a laser, then rapid set between the dots and you have a screed runner, rapid set or sand cement or slc between the runners and you have a screed. What is a good screed... One big flat 'plane' to tile on

You you can make anything using this technique.

You you need to think of tiles not as tiles but large sections of tiles locked in to 'planes' , eg place a 2m straight edge on a tiles surface and all the way along the tiles will be in contact with the tile face.... Then these tiles are all on the same 'plane'. When you create a plane for let's say a floor you can break the plane of the tiles to do what you want, maybe loose height to get under a door for example or gain height to come level with another surface, all this is done by breaking the plane of the tiles, that's what your doing creating a fall in a wet room.

I don't expect you to grasp what I'm describing mr t but at least you are inquisitive enough to ask. I'm not on here all that often but I see more people giving you more credit for your enthusiasm, keep asking questions and listen to the right ones and I bet you will be doing work beyond your expectations. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube showing you the basics of screeding, once you practice and master it then the tiling world will be your oyster. Just remember "plane"

M

Mr Tiler

You you need to think of tiles not as tiles but large sections of tiles locked in to 'planes' , eg place a 2m straight edge on a tiles surface and all the way along the tiles will be in contact with the tile face.... Then these tiles are all on the same 'plane'. When you create a plane for let's say a floor you can break the plane of the tiles to do what you want, maybe loose height to get under a door for example or gain height to come level with another surface, all this is done by breaking the plane of the tiles, that's what your doing creating a fall in a wet room.
ive had to read this part 3 times and still havnt grasped it fully lol i do have a couple more questions before i sleep on it and thanks in advance mate very insightful...

1) firstly in you demo pics once you have screeded onto the former, is that a level surface or have you 'broken the plane' as you say?

2) and when you say breaking the plane im assuming you mean slowly sloping down from the original floor height as that is how it is in my head or do you mean level then drop level then drop like very long but small dropping steps (if that makes any sense what so ever lol) mind you i suppose that wouldnt work as it would create lippage.

thank you for taking the time bud :smilewinkgrin:

C

charlie1

ive had to read this part 3 times and still havnt grasped it fully lol i do have a couple more questions before i sleep on it and thanks in advance mate very insightful...

1) firstly in you demo pics once you have screeded onto the former, is that a level surface or have you 'broken the plane' as you say?

Yes ive broken the plane. Field tiles are level then mosaics are sloping towards drain.

2) and when you say breaking the plane im assuming you mean slowly sloping down from the original floor height as that is how it is in my head or do you mean level then drop level then drop like very long but small dropping steps (if that makes any sense what so ever lol) mind you i suppose that wouldnt work as it would create lippage.

correct!

thank you for taking the time bud :smilewinkgrin:

no problem mate

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to tricky tiles onto former and wetroom floor... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hey. I doing my first walk-in tiled shower. The shower is 4’x8’. Most of the floor is covered...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB