Discuss Trim or not to trim (recess in shower) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

Carl Morrison

Hi guys,

No I know its probably not the best approach for a shower but have decided to put a recess in the wet area. Using hardi throughout and will fully tank recess and down to shower base, however, when I come to tile Im a little worried that installing a trim will be the 'weak point'... so if you were doing a recess in a shower would you try to mitre the tiles or use trim leaving a gap to grout? If I put tiles right up to the edge then I assume without much room for grout its going to be the 'weak point'.

Need to finish surrounds in hardi but here is pic at the mo.... IMG_20130519_141302[1].jpg

Advise please :smilewinkgrin:

K

kaharrison9

Use a trim

If fully tanked correctly your tiles are purely cosmetic so should make no differance wether water goes behind or not.

Make sure all joints and internal corners are taped and tanked.

Do heavily silicone the tray to the hardiebacker when fitting and bed it on rapid adhesive to stop any movement.

The bottom tile in the recess put on a very slight angle so any water runs out rather than sits there.

Also silicone all the internal corners of the recess.

Kev

I

Ian

Bri , how close do you go to the edge on your mitres and secondly do you mitre cut edges?

Diggy

About 1mm in from the edge, these were ceramics so quite easy to get that close without chipping, I leave a 1mm (ish) joint to grout in the mitre. With ceramics I find it easiest just to use a grinder to cut the mitres, with porcelain I've used the grinder profiling attachment from ATS here is a pic of a niche done with that
uzyrebep.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Trim or not to trim (recess in shower) in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
I could use some help from everyone! The floor mosaic tile was recently retiled over a tile-redi...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB