Discuss trouble getting paid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

easyt

It is not illegal to stop a cheque. It is only a criminal offence if you issue a cheque with the intention of stopping it in order to defraud or if you know that it will not be honoured because there are insufficient funds.

Stopping a cheque is a breach of contract. A court would certainly find that the cheque must be honoured and act accordingly. However court action does permit a counter-claim by the person who issued the cheque (including costs).

If the issuer discovered that there was a serious problem with your work or if he discovered that you had caused significant damage then he could stop the cheque in order to force you to take court action to obtain your money thereby allowing him to counter claim.

D

DHTiling

Some info from the Bills of Exchange Act 1882

Under the Bills of Exchange Act 1882, cheques are contracts in themselves. As such, they are a promise by the drawer of the cheque that the person to whom it is addressed will be paid the money as stated on the cheque. This is the case irrespective of the purpose for which the cheque is paid and there are only very limited exceptions. If there are insufficient funds in the account to meet that promise or if the drawer of the cheque stops payment, the cheque has been dishonoured and the contract broken. You need only give notice to the bank that the cheque has been dishonoured and then you are entitled to sue them on the dishonoured cheque, get judgment and enforce it.

Under law, when you write a cheque to someone you effectively promise that the cheque will be honoured and if, for whatever reason, the cheque is not honoured you imply that you will compensate that person in full.
Hope this helps a bit, but please do go seek proper legal advice..

M

mikethetile

in my experiance satisfied customers dont stop cheques or refuse to pay

I had a situation earlier in the year where two daughters were paying for the work as a wedding anniversary present for their parents, each sister thought the other was paying so didnt have the funds to meet the invoice

easily sorted , we drew up an agreement and they paid in monthly installments, it was a win / win situation

deliberate non payers dont issue cheques they refuse to pay invoices and build a case not to pay

Reply to trouble getting paid in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
trouble getting paid
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.