UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tub surround problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mnye00

I am tiling a shower surround (walls) in my basement and have installed the cement board and thought I was ready to go... wrong.

It looks like the studs behind the board are a little out of alignment and this is causing some big dips. If I hold a 4' level against the back wall, the left had side is about 1/4" recessed in some places. How can I solve my problem. Can I simply apply thinset to the wall in all the low places until it is all on the same plane?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

M

mnye00

1/4 inch is nothing like macten said, use some rapid set to get rid of this prior to tiling, use a piece of wood and run it upwards unce you have rapid set on the wall, abit like browning if u no what i mean?....this way it will be perfectly flat :)

Goods news, thanks Gents.

Now, if I go over the walls and find deeper depressions than 1/4" what would be the limits if this solution?

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Cement board means their won't be a weight issue so you can go quite thick - not all in one hit mind, just build it up over a few layers giving previous layer time to go off.
Obviously if you find it's out by miles over a large area then bite the bullet and sort out the rogue stud.
Which ever way you go be sure to get it flat before you start tiling unless you're a sadist!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tub surround problems in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I am installing Hardie backerboard for a bathtub surround and plan to tile the tub surround with...
Replies
Views
Jpvvpj
J
Hi all, I am in the middle of renovating my bathroom. First of its kind for me! The walls were...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.