Discuss Tubbed adhesive for tumbled marble mosaic? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

There are some tubbed adhesives we use which are very flexible and have excellent grip quality's....white star being one of these adhesives..they are used a lot i suppose due to there ease of use..but cement based all the way on naturals for me....

BAL White Star
whitestar.jpg

White, highly flexible, non-slip, highly water-resistant ready-mixed organic dispersion ceramic wall tile adhesive utilising the latest raw material technology and employing the highest quality acrylic resins. Conforms to BS EN 12004 for a D2TE Adhesive.

Suitable for use in dry and wet duty locations including heavy duty commercial applications such as communal showers and commercial kitchens. Ideal for use on a variety of backgrounds including cement:sand rendering, plaster, plasterboard, paint, sheets and boards, tilebacker panels and existing ceramic tiles. Suitable for use on worktops.

C

customceramics

its my experience that 3/16" notch trowels are ok with this(the tighter the better(like my women:grouphug: ) i think thicker notch trowels do not work with this type of mastic.
i used it years ago on walls in DRY areas but never in a shower or wet area..i did a good few rip outs (not my work:thumbsup: ) and noticed the mastic being wet and un cured.i would never risk using it.thats only my opinion so carry on regardless.
There are numerous flexible cement based adhesives (i like to call them thinsets:lol: ) on the market.
i use them for all my tile including splashbacks(backsplashes:lol: )
----
This adhesive(mastic,organic acrylic) your talking about is in my opinion a liability based on what ive seen and what i have read and discussed with other tilers here in the usa. I ripped out a good few bathrooms and noticed on a few that the mastic hadnt cured,was wet and emulsified and to be honest a nightmare.
I have used it in the past but never in a wet area.Its not worth the risk when you can mix your own dry set mortars.I think the bigger the notch on your trowel the more risk you take in achieving a full cure. Im sure the warranties are dependent on full cure instances only.Some tradesmen want to get in and get out(myself included)but grouting a job that has not fully cured with mastic is a problem in the making.
MY opinion only fellas and i dont want to rock your boat :yawn:
ps i would never use it on any natural stone whatsoever

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Tubbed adhesive for tumbled marble mosaic? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got a job using marble geometric mosaics about 10 mm thick. I’ve tried several blades to...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Tubbed adhesive for tumbled marble mosaic?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.