UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Tubbed adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Some of you may remember a little while back i got caught up in a bit of a rant by stating someone should not of used, what i believed was tubbed adhesive. Brand and product in particular was BAL whitestar. I think i proved myself to be correct before.

I hate to go over old ground but i have to post about what i experienced today.
Current job i'm on is for a young chap that's just brought a brand new, 4 bedroom home. I'm in there to simply tile the floors in the Kitchen, Bathroom, En-Suite and Cloakroom. I started on the En-Suite today. The splashbacks and wall tiling is already completed as part of the house build. I pulled out the WC and basin today so i could board the floor and install de-coupling membrane.
When it came to removing the basin i cut the silicone, unscrewed it from the wall and went to lift it out (being extra gentle too!). The two rather large tiles on the splashback FELL away from the wall. I managed to catch them from slipping toward the shower enclosure. Below are some photos:

SAM_2278.JPG SAM_2277.JPG SAM_2281.JPG SAM_2280.JPG

Two tiles, and to my count five errors. Is this really how new build homes are being built these days?? You wouldn't catch me stapping into that cubicle for a shower!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Yes Phil. There's emulsion there, not as thick in places as the rest of the walls, but where the adhesive hasn't touched the wall you can see the markings of a roller.
The adhesive has been spread with the notches of the trowel on the back of the tile. Doesn't look like a lot of pressure has been applied when fixing. Either that or the tub was beggining to dry out.

I listed the following:

Dan's right, they've been "back buttered".
The size of tile is too large for tubbed adhesive.
Tiled over paint, and not a hint of any primer.
6mm trowel would not be recommended by the manufacturer (based on the most common brands)

If the shower cubicle has been done the same? There's a high pressure cylinder in the house. So all though the shower is a mixer bar it's technically a power shower. Tubbed addy is generally unsuitable for wet areas and power showers.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Yes Phil. There's emulsion there, not as thick in places as the rest of the walls, but where the adhesive hasn't touched the wall you can see the markings of a roller.
The adhesive has been spread with the notches of the trowel on the back of the tile. Doesn't look like a lot of pressure has been applied when fixing. Either that or the tub was beggining to dry out.

I listed the following:

Dan's right, they've been "back buttered".
The size of tile is too large for tubbed adhesive.
Tiled over paint, and not a hint of any primer.
6mm trowel would not be recommended by the manufacturer (based on the most common brands)

If the shower cubicle has been done the same? There's a high pressure cylinder in the house. So all though the shower is a mixer bar it's technically a power shower. Tubbed addy is generally unsuitable for wet areas and power showers.

First thing I thought when I saw it was paint on the walls. I guess the plasterer plastered, next day the painter painted and the next dat the tiler tiled. He possibly tiled the same day and the paint could quite easily have not dried either.

I will not do site work because of this reason

D

Discount Tile Supplies

Bucket adhesive is fine if used correctly but it never is. Powder addy is the best but can also fail if used incorrectly.

I think most of the posts above got it right in one way or another, damp walls, paint and buttering the back of tile etc.

Lets hope the tilers who fixed these will learn and use powder addy all of the time rather than being forced by housing developers to use buckets because addy manufacturers specify it.

But then the likes of Bal, Mapei etc will say different as they sell shed loads a week!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Tubbed adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
I started removing the tiles in my bathroom today and the majority of the plaster has come off...
Replies
Views
Tikkaaa
T

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.