UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Two different floor surfaces in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

blue-roans

Hi there everyone,
I'm new to this - not a computer buff. I am seeking advice on tiling my kitchen AND dining room floor which has two different surfaces. Kitchen is concrete, dining room is very close boarded floorboards. I can't use anything really thick because the freezer and fridge have already been built-in by the kitchen fitters so I have very little space underneath them. Is it OK to use ply on both surfaces?
Thanks for any advice.

A

Aston

i wouldnt use ply, i would go with a tile backer board over both surfaces on the condition that the floor board area of the floor is structurally strong enough and that there is no defelection in the wooden floor ie the joists AND boards..the tile backer boards are a more stable surface on which to tile and they can be bought in thin sheets too , to save on the height issue..

also, there should (technically) be an uninterupted expansion joint between where the 2 different substrates meet but, it the floor has been down a long time and there is no signs of movement or resent settlement, then you might get away without one but its a hard one to call accurately call without seeing the job...

theres only so far you can go with the advice on a forum without seeing the job.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Two different floor surfaces in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.