Discuss Two different jobs two very similar issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LHowellCeramics

Over the past few months I have had two jobs brought to my attention, Although not doing either of the jobs due builders not waiting they have used other people. Both jobs consist of very light Limestone tiles. One is actually for family another is just a customer.

The job for the customer unfortunately from what the builders say is they used the floor before they had sealed, it even though being asked not to. since they they have sealed the floor however the family have still managed to make more stains. After looking at the floor its clear the marks are from grease type substances clearly not wiped up when the mess was made. I tried a test to see if the tiles were sealed properly and from my personal opinion they was. So now this is out of my knowledge on what i could advise them to do? I would pass it back to the person who they got to lay the floor however he isnt a tiler. Suggestions?

The floor for family again very similar tiles, Very clean people so it cannot be blamed on the owners here. Having not worked with the builders nor the tiling company before as for what products they used i was not aware. The issues with this floor is a few grubby marks on the tile surfaces however easy to live with the issue here is the grout joints across the whole floor they are dirty now had this have been sealed correctly surely they wouldn't have this issue?

I have managed to find one thing out and that is both floors were sealed with the same product of which i do not personally use. could this particular sealer be to blame for some of these issues? What do you guys and girls think?

Clearly this is not a major issue for myself however i would like to be able to help and resolve the issues or at least improve these floors. I have never had any experience of these problems before there for i can only give advise to what my knowledge stretches so any little advice is welcomed.

T

Topshop

The grout problem could be if they are wet mopping the floor. A wet mop will force dirt into the joint. Stone floors should be dust mopped or vacuumed and only spot cleaned wet with a proper stone cleaner.

The other one could be undersealed or the wrong sealer for the stone. No matter what sealer is used if a staining agent is left unattended for long enough it will migrate through the sealer eventually. Tell those people to clean up after themselves as soon as possible when they have a spill. The stains can be pulticed out and the stone should be reviewed to be sure the proper sealer gets applied.

Reply to Two different jobs two very similar issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Two different jobs two very similar issues
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.