UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss UFH Mat Damaged During Installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

Unregistered

Hi,

I am having my new bathroom installed and have had UFH fitted under my floor tiles. My bathroom fitters electrician came today to connect up my themostat and left without testing the system.

I turned on the system last night (tiles have been down 7 days) to test and as soon as the thermostat is switched to an 'on' setting, ie when it attempts to heat the mat the fuse is tripped on the main consumer unit. The RCD does not trip.

The electrician is returning today to investigate. Assuming he has wired it correctly, the system will stay on as long as it is not trying to heat the mat, i am fearing the worst and that the mat has been damaged during installation.

I assume this will result in lifting the floor and relaying the mat and tiles and as this is a wet room presumably some re-tanking would also be required.

Before i express my displeasure at my bathroom fitter would you reasonably expect him to bare the cost of this work?

Any advice would be appreciated

Simon.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
If it has been damaged as a result of work during instllation or is faulty it is up to the person with whom you had the contract to fit it to put it right. It is often a matter for negotiation as to who actually pays but if you can demonstrate that it is his fault then yes it would be reasonable to expect him to bare the cost.

U

Unregistered

Just to update.....

Tested myself over the weekend as fitter nor his electrician have graced me with their presence yet.

using my multimeter i get continuity between the live tail from the mat and the top of one of the screws that fix my toilet pan to the floor and the same with the earth tail.

I think its fairly conclusive that the bathroom fitter has screwed through the cable whilst fitting the pan causing the fault.

T

Time's Ran Out

Although there is no news from 6 days ago and I hope you have had the error sorted, I find it difficult to understand how a qualified electrician could connect up the thermostat control and not switch it on to test!
The digital control (if it's not just an on/off type) would normally show a fault reading and if the wc. screw is live then sitting could be uncomfortable.
Definitely do not use until tested, make sure all the paperwork has been stage signed, get the electrician to complete the guarantee and send it off for your warranty - anything less and you could have wasted your money.

B

bugs183

This may not be a disaster, so hold fast here.
If the screw in the pan is registering as live then it stands a good chance this is the only point where the fault is, so careful testing and removal of this tile alone should solve your problem, these mats can be fixed, i'm having one fixed next week. Try this fella, he tests the mats and can pinpoint the fault for you. Steve Ashby 07989382219.
As for who will pay for the repair, it should really be whoever fitted the mat as they should have known there was going to be a toilet there.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH Mat Damaged During Installation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Dear all, First time poster here and would like you r kind suggetion. I am getting a builder...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi I am after some advice and opinion if the quality of our recently installed tiles is of an...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.