UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss UFH & SLC advice pls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

ollymonkeynuts

Hello to you all,

I have a 6mx4m kitchen diner onto which im planning to install 12m Devi (0.5m wide) UFH on the walking/cooking areas then tile it. There will be an island and obviously kitchen cabinets which I dont plan to tile under. My question refers to the SLC over this UFH.

Can I lay the SLC just over the areas of UFH using batons to restrict the coverage of the SLC - then lay thicker addy over the rest of the WBP ply flooring? Or should I just go with SLC over all of the floor and keep things simple?

Ive researched the Marmox & priming side of things so its just a query on the above. Thanks. Olly:thumbsup:

O

ollymonkeynuts

Thanks for that Mike. There are really no short cuts when it comes to tiling. Ive just checked a bag of Mapei ultrplan I have and its good for up to 30mm, the non UFH areas will be 10mm (Marmox) and 3mm (Devimat) lower so I'll need approx 15mm of SLC to cover the whole area with 2mm over the UFH.

Its gonna cost a bomb to do though! The Ultraplan covers 6m2 @ 3mm thickness so at 15mm thickness a 25kg bag will do 1.2m2.

For the 18m2 of non UFH will take about 15 bags @ roughly £20 is £300. Plus another bag for the 6m2 of UFH. Arghhh!!!

Any suggestions so it doesnt cost that much?

M

Mike Mike

Thanks for that Mike. There are really no short cuts when it comes to tiling. Ive just checked a bag of Mapei ultrplan I have and its good for up to 30mm, the non UFH areas will be 10mm (Marmox) and 3mm (Devimat) lower so I'll need approx 15mm of SLC to cover the whole area with 2mm over the UFH.

Its gonna cost a bomb to do though! The Ultraplan covers 6m2 @ 3mm thickness so at 15mm thickness a 25kg bag will do 1.2m2.

For the 18m2 of non UFH will take about 15 bags @ roughly £20 is £300. Plus another bag for the 6m2 of UFH. Arghhh!!!

Any suggestions so it doesnt cost that much?

Double check how many kgs/mm/m2 your SLC is, usually it is between 1.6kg per mm per m2 to 1.7kg. That would be 17.3 - 18.3 bags @ 25kgs each.

The only way to save money is find a less expensive SLC than the Mapei, or find the Mapei cheaper.

You can buy fiber reinforced SLC here for 99kr for 20kg, that's 46 pence a kg, £9.20 a bag. That's a retail price, no special trade discounts or anything. 25kgs would be £11.61.

Why is that Mapei so expensive? Our VAT is 25% and we get ripped off for EVERYTHING, so I would expect in England you could buy SLC for £7 - 8 for 20kgs x 18 bags = £126 - 144...

Maybe someone else on here can advise you a good place to buy SLC for sensible prices???

All the best

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH & SLC advice pls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I need some advice from the collective mind. I've tiled a kitchen floor which has...
Replies
Views
Hi Ive been browsing your forums over the years looking for guidance for odd tiling DIY tasks...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
[reposted here as it seems much more active] Hi, I’m not looking to tile the floor, but feel...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.