Discuss UFH: Solid adhesive bed needed over SLC? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gross Loydman

SLC'd the UFH cable in my bathroom and toilet yesterday, and will be tiling it in a week's time or so. My question is whether, having SLC'd the cable, I need to ensure that I don't have any voids between the top of the SLC and the underside of the tiles. I'm assuming that it's important to not have any voids around the cable, but once that's safely encased in SLC, do I need a solid bed of addy to ensure that the heat is transferred evenly to the tile? I have a 12mm square notched trowel, would this be ok or should I use a solid-bed one? Would a solid bed transfer the heat more efficiently to the tile or act as an impediment? I kinda think that's a silly question but can't decide why... :rolleyes5:

PS Many thanks to Steven and Keith at UHeat for the kit and expert advice! :)

D

Daz

Forget your heat transition.

All floor tiles should be solid bed fixed

Trowel the floor with your 12mm trowel, then backskim the underside of the tile with the flat edge of the trowel, fix with a twisting or sliding motion and fully press the tile into the adhesive to attain a solid fix. If you have voids under a tile then you have weak points that will ultimately fail so do the job right first time to avoid further remedial work.

Good luck,

Daz

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH: Solid adhesive bed needed over SLC? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I asked the Wunda technical department if I can just use a Ditra mat only and not the SLC...
Replies
Views
Hi, Looking for advice mainly on how much adhesive I should remove from between the tiles in a...
Replies
Views
Further to my other post re our hollow tiles issue It looks like our tiler has dot and dabbed...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
UFH: Solid adhesive bed needed over SLC?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.