Discuss Ufh with conventional screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Traditional sand cement screed with warm water underfloor heating is pretty rubbish from the point of view of the heating. It is also prone to shrinkage and cracking. deffinitely requires poly fibres or D49 steel mesh reinforcement. UFH must be comisioned and run prior to tiling and this should not be done for at least 28 days following installation. (7 days curing under polythene followed by 21 days of strength gain)

the only thing it really ha going for it is the fact that cement based adhesives stick to it. I know it is obvious that I would say go for liquid screed everytime but I would go for liquid screed everytime.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
I think Ajax would probably agree to that....

Not so much that it is not suitable. That would be unfair as it has been used for years in many cases successfully. There are a number of issues though. Installations are often poor due to the lack of skills in the industry, designs are often defficient and movmenet is uncontrolled. Sand cement is often not sured leading to shrinkage and dusting and a lack of strength. They are often installed far too dry leading to poor compaction and poor strength gain. lost of issues and the even following the british standards for sand cement does not help as 8204:1 says its better to lay big bays let them crack and sort it out afterwards. This seems mad to me... Then there is 1264, The heating standard, which is dangerously wrong when it comes to comissioning the heating system.

Anhydrite screeds are technically superior to sand cement and when it comes to underfloor heating it is perfectly suited to modern construction methods and buildig regulations.

That is not to say it never goes wrong. Occasionally it does.but is is much less prone to failure when installed correctly.

D

Donnie Ban

4 years ago my wife and I put down insulation, laid the pipes and did all the heating including the wiring of the manifold and programmable roomstat in each room, with help we DIY mixed 4 to 1 crusher dust or quarry dust with loose glass fibres, bought a cheap electric vibrating poker on ebay, that meant the screed seeped under the pipes as there where no stones. I did 5 rooms individually, 1 lounge 1 bedroom 1 bathroom 1 kitchen 1 u/t and toilet. I then covered each room individually with tarpaulins so the cement would cure instead of dry, left them for the recommended weeks plus an extra week, tiled them, put heating on as recommended and 4 years later as there is not a crack to be seen anywhere. I am only a diyer and never tackled anything like this before, so if you think you can do it give it a go, but make sure you read up on it first

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
4 years ago my wife and I put down insulation, laid the pipes and did all the heating including the wiring of the manifold and programmable roomstat in each room, with help we DIY mixed 4 to 1 crusher dust or quarry dust with loose glass fibres, bought a cheap electric vibrating poker on ebay, that meant the screed seeped under the pipes as there where no stones. I did 5 rooms individually, 1 lounge 1 bedroom 1 bathroom 1 kitchen 1 u/t and toilet. I then covered each room individually with tarpaulins so the cement would cure instead of dry, left them for the recommended weeks plus an extra week, tiled them, put heating on as recommended and 4 years later as there is not a crack to be seen anywhere. I am only a diyer and never tackled anything like this before, so if you think you can do it give it a go, but make sure you read up on it first

blimey what a flipping faff...

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ufh with conventional screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, With a kitchen renovation, Mrs choose the white mirror quartz floor tiles from a...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Does anyone have experience of using grooved dry screed boards? (Bonus points...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB