Discuss UFH with Gyvlon screed. preparation help in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Coop5

TF
Hi guys,

I am after some advice from the pros, so figured id ask here.

in my new extension I have has a wet ufh system installed under some liquid screed (gyvlon evo I believe)

Its been down for over a month now at the depth of approx 50mm.

I am now ready for tiling so have been reading up on the prep (which I didn't realise it needed)

Ive been told that I should have sanded the surface after a few days to remove some of the surface dust etc.

then I need to prime the lot before I can lay porcelain tiles.

so my questions are:

What is my best option for sanding?
Whats the best primer?
What adhesive should be used? (As cement and this type of screed don't suit each other)

And finally, how can I tell for sure that the screed is ready (moisture reading)

I am aware of the 1mm a day but I want to be sure.

I hope you can help me out. I like to know what I am on about before I get a tiler in.

Many thanks in advance

Coops

Coop5

TF
20150429_150737.jpg

20150429_150814.jpg

ok well today I have cleaned the room ready for sanding.

Whilst inspecting the floor I noticed several areas where there appeared to be something in the screed.

I took a scraper to the area and smoothed it off. The photos show before and after.

does anyone know what this is.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Boo yah!! It's lignite. It's a contaminant in the sand. It is often found in coal bearing ground or close to it. It is not deleterious so unless it is major contamination it's nothing for you to worry about. It is quite soft so may smear or smudge when you sand the screed surface but as long as the usual precautions a re taken I.e dry it, heat it, sand it, vac it, prime it before you tile it should not be a problem. A heavy contamination would be fairly obvious as it would look like a Tarmac path. In this case rather than sanding you would be best to shotblast with an enclosed shot blasting machine.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to UFH with Gyvlon screed. preparation help in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB