Discuss Unbelievable cheek! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jeff the tiler

Okay where do I start with this one.
just been into a local large multi chain tile store. I have been using them for circa 18 months now. They given me the odd lead and in return I have assisted them with loads of problem customers who have tiles fitted incorrectly and where the customers are trying to blame the tile/store and also referred customers to them.
went in today for some grout and one of the assistants said that he and the Manager have been talking and they want 30% cash of any job they refer to me and they are doing this with other tilers who basically are happy to give them back handers as they are not originally from the Uk. They have referred one large job as we were the only ones capable,and one other being smaller,and said another tiler would have given them a £1000 yes a £1000 for the job.
When I mentioned who do they go to if there is any trouble and have never asked for anything in return they just replied unless you can pay us then we will not refer you. Fine I said go and flip yourself or a similar word anyway
feel so much like reporting this or naming them on this forum as can not believe it.
As a clue they stock their own brand, gran fix and Mapei grout. I am so hacked off and so tempted to phone their head office. What's going on!! Anyway their loss.

T

Time's Ran Out

It's your word against there's!
All you can do is inform the head office that you are taking your business elsewhere due to the extortion tactics been applied by members of their staff.
Wont do you any good as you get Nowt for owt in any walk of life but may make you feel better.
Everytime I go into my local tile distributor they ask for a card so they can pass on work - mind you they ask everyone:lol:

C

charlie1

Okay where do I start with this one.
just been into a local large multi chain tile store. I have been using them for circa 18 months now. They given me the odd lead and in return I have assisted them with loads of problem customers who have tiles fitted incorrectly and where the customers are trying to blame the tile/store and also referred customers to them.
went in today for some grout and one of the assistants said that he and the Manager have been talking and they want 30% cash of any job they refer to me and they are doing this with other tilers who basically are happy to give them back handers as they are not originally from the Uk. They have referred one large job as we were the only ones capable,and one other being smaller,and said another tiler would have given them a £1000 yes a £1000 for the job.
When I mentioned who do they go to if there is any trouble and have never asked for anything in return they just replied unless you can pay us then we will not refer you. Fine I said go and flip yourself or a similar word anyway
feel so much like reporting this or naming them on this forum as can not believe it.
As a clue they stock their own brand, gran fix and Mapei grout. I am so hacked off and so tempted to phone their head office. What's going on!! Anyway their loss.
Set them up, video it then tell them you want 30% of there wages or the tape goes to there boss... I'm being 100% serious btw

C

charlie1

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_228883_productId_800341_langId_-1?cm_mmc=GooglePPC-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Cycling%20Clothing%2FCycling%20Glasses%20%26%20Goggles-_-Video%20Recording%20Sunglasses%20(W)&source=ppc&adtype=%7Badtype%7D&%7Bcopy:_$ja%7D&%7Bifdyn:_$$ja=tsid:35588%7D%7Bifpe:_$$ja=ad=pe%7D&gclid=CKHH6fuYrLcCFWbKtAodnH4AOg

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_228883_productId_800341_langId_-1?cm_mmc=GooglePPC-_-Google%20Product%20Search-_-Cycling%20Clothing%2FCycling%20Glasses%20%26%20Goggles-_-Video%20Recording%20Sunglasses%20(W)&source=ppc&adtype=%7Badtype%7D&%7Bcopy:_$ja%7D&%7Bifdyn:_$$ja=tsid:35588%7D%7Bifpe:_$$ja=ad=pe%7D&gclid=CKHH6fuYrLcCFWbKtAodnH4AOg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I

ian158

go in with a recorder and set them up....say i've been thinking about what you said and paying you 30%..can we reduce it ? and go from there..then after the conversation let them know your intentions..they will be sacked..

Im currently in Saudi and last year project managed a stainless steel install of some 24 kms of pipe (£1.5 million) in a chicken slautghter house...I complained about the practice of not purging the pipes correctly..so had a meeting with the contractors..unbeknown to them I recorded the meeting as I knew what they would say.....dont worry it wont leak, we cant get the welders here..Almari wont x-ray the pipes dont worry !!! am now passing it on the client as the company now have leaks in their pipe work..so they are liable and not the company i worked for.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
go in with a recorder and set them up....say i've been thinking about what you said and paying you 30%..can we reduce it ? and go from there..then after the conversation let them know your intentions..they will be sacked..

Im currently in Saudi and last year project managed a stainless steel install of some 24 kms of pipe (£1.5 million) in a chicken slautghter house...I complained about the practice of not purging the pipes correctly..so had a meeting with the contractors..unbeknown to them I recorded the meeting as I knew what they would say.....dont worry it wont leak, we cant get the welders here..Almari wont x-ray the pipes dont worry !!! am now passing it on the client as the company now have leaks in their pipe work..so they are liable and not the company i worked for.

is your name Bond.....James Bond..:lol:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
Grass them up. I grassed up a plumber on a training course a few years back. I paid good money for a plumbing course. He was not interested in training the group because it was his last week at the centre. I told his boss, who went red with fury. They guy changed his ways and turned out to be pretty good in the end. The strangest thing was that nobody else in the group thanked me or were concerned that the trainer was taking the pee. These guys at the tile shop are breaking the t's and c's of their employment contract. Try and get something in writing from them. Even if they back down I would still grass them up to the CEO. You got to go to the top.

B

Bubblecraft

I've seen a few different trade places to this from Tile shops to Kitchen suppliers.
Everyone tries to get an extra buck or two this way knowing that its wrong & can get busted for it. Just tell them the way it is. I can maybe understand up to a score or something like that if you get the go ahead for a decent lead but 30% cash is the most ridiculous thing I've heard.

20% goes to Tax
9% goes to NI contributions
3% if customer pays by card

That's 32%

Then there is running costs, business costs etc which I would allow up to 20% on each job

That's 52%

They want 30%

That's 82%. That leaves you 18% to live on....get real!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Unbelievable cheek! in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB