UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Underfloor heating problems!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

ukProTile

Hi All,

Looking for your opinions on this....

Started a job today, well tried to!

Job details: 64 m2, tiles size- 1200x20 (wood effect) porcelain, underfloor heating (wet system - polypipe).

Ok, I started this job today, got there to find that the plumbers that installed the heating system have done a poor job to say the least! the floor isn't flat at all.

when quoting, the customers had told me that they want me to tile directly onto the heating system. I recommended something on top i.e. cement boards.
They said that polypipe had said that if I don't fix directly onto the pipes then they WONT honor the guarantee! This seemed very strange to me so I thought I would investigate further.....

The addy that porcelenosa had supplied with the tiles is Butech 1flex. I called Butech/BAL and they told me definitely dont fix directly onto the system as it will fail! - I thought this much....

They suggested using a cement board. Exactly what I wanted to do! however, they recommend sticking and screwing this down. Norm not a prob but with the whole floor covered in pipework I really dont fancy this!!!! especially as the pipework is a bit of a mess (cant see where all pipes are!).

We got back onto polypipe and explained the situation and they said there is another option. as follows;

Another option for installation, as recommended by Mapei and advised by Polypipe:

1. Vacuum entire area.
  2. Prime the Overlay boards using Mapei Eco Prime T, diluted 1:1 with water.
  3. Once dry, apply Mapei Fibreplan levelling compound, ensuring minimum thickness of 5mm above panels.
  4. Once dry the tiling can be adhered using Mapei Keraquick – Grey or White.
  5. Grout tiles using Mapei Ultracolour Plus.
they still haven't really said if they will honor the guarantee using this method though!

Besides that, I looked into it and this method will cost a fortune! And on top of that I cant find anywhere that has this amount of fiberplan in stock!

I need to sort this quick as I have allowed 4/5 days for this but have already wasted today and am fully booked after this week!

Can anyone think of an alternative???

Thanks in advance

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Thanks, The only problem is that polypipe are saying to use fibreplan only and not sure the customer will be willing to go against this as it will invalidate the guarantee.

If the system cannot be tiled itis presumably not fit for the purpose for whichit was supplied.

What uarantee are polypipe offering or ot offering as the case may be.

hi
ive got a thread to post regarding a job with polypipe, i phoned polypipe before the job i did as the floor wasnt finished and was all over the place,really uneven.
i asked about slc and they said not to and unless i used 2 part adhesive they wouldnt guarantee it.
My problem is that the contractor said no to slc and got ardex x7001 for most of it then decided on some larsen slow set which i wouldnt use. i found that polypipe was hard to work with if its not put down on a level substrate or put down properly. even had to take up some of the plastic end pieces as they wasnt put down right and was higher than the boards plus the pipes was bent at ridiculous angles.
i wouldnt work with it again unless its put down by a plumber i work for.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Underfloor heating problems!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Underfloor heating problems!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.