UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Underfloor Heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

georgetknight

Has anyone installed underfloor heating, and if so was it difficult, only might be doing a qoute soon for a kitchen floor with underfloor heating about 15 sq mts. I have only watched the video which was by Warmup, seems not to difficult but I have never done one, any advice would be much appreciated.

John.

dead easy to do mate if you can self level over the tiles then the job of tiling becomes even easier just take your time make sure you get your electrician in on the first day to check that the socket you want to wire it up to will take the extra load. also always check the matt or wire before during and after tiling show the cust at the end aswell to cover your arse. i put down 25m2 of ufh with insulating boards below uncalibrated slate in a kitchen dining room which was purchased from advanced underfloor heating took me 3.5 days selaed and grouted

L

Leatherface

Not "dead easy peasy"
Does take a little thought and time. You have to plan out your laying so that the end of the cable or mat ends up in the correct place. Also not ending up with too much spare or not enough.
The correct way is also to get a qualified electrician to test before you self level over. Any problems with mat or cable should be flagged prior to self level and tiling.

C

Concept PHT

dead easy to do mate if you can self level over the tiles then the job of tiling becomes even easier just take your time make sure you get your electrician in on the first day to check that the socket you want to wire it up to will take the extra load. also always check the matt or wire before during and after tiling show the cust at the end aswell to cover your arse. i put down 25m2 of ufh with insulating boards below uncalibrated slate in a kitchen dining room which was purchased from advanced underfloor heating took me 3.5 days selaed and grouted
Thats good advice, just be confident in getting the leveller mixture right and well spread across the matting, as the leveller tends to 'stick' to the folds of the mat - making the floor uneven slightly if your not careful. Try and stretch the mat tight to the floor.

I just finished one today, 14m/s ceramic with UFH mat in a conservatory. Fitted, levelled and down in 2 days.

Nice little earners :)

T

trevortine

Totally agree with your not easy peasy comment leatherface, i mean its not difficult to do but too many past comments about how simple it is to do. i fit a lot of ufh these days from start to finish including all electrical work. One mistake i have seen many a time is people just simply laying the mat down over the entire bathroom floor then the plumber comes in and drills holes for the toilet and well you can guess the rest. I always plan out where everything is so you are 100 per cent sure there will be no accidents. Incidentally, i use an alarm system from warm up called the wathdog, simply connect your mat cables to this and if there is a break in the circuit at any time during installation the alarm sounds, thankfully its never went off yet:wink_smile:

G

GazTech

Listen to the Kapitan,don't need to self- level when yor'e an experienced float.Run up and down lenghts of cable,cable is thinner than depth of notch.I have fitted warm up for 10-12 yrs,before we needed electricians,after all if you can wire a plug! now you need part 'P' qual to wire into t-stat.Fair enough rules are rules,so remember that cable runs back to itself (dual cable)DWS.Run it out and finish it at end,strip wire and put plug on to test with 5 amp fuse.Job done.If anyone needs more advice and more detail on request I'll open a new techno thread on this subject GAZ

V

Varley

Listen to the Kapitan,don't need to self- level when yor'e an experienced float.Run up and down lenghts of cable,cable is thinner than depth of notch.I have fitted warm up for 10-12 yrs,before we needed electricians,after all if you can wire a plug! now you need part 'P' qual to wire into t-stat.Fair enough rules are rules,so remember that cable runs back to itself (dual cable)DWS.Run it out and finish it at end,strip wire and put plug on to test with 5 amp fuse.Job done.If anyone needs more advice and more detail on request I'll open a new techno thread on this subject GAZ

I would be very interested Gaz as i have never installed it before, think a few people would benefit from it as it is a subject that continuously comes up :)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Underfloor Heating in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.