Discuss underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MRM Tiling

Hi i have a job coming up and need some advice, it is on a concrete floor which is at least a year old and has pipe heating underneath it which has been commisioned and the screed conditioned. can i tile straight to the concrete with flexi adhesive or do i need a decoupling membrane down? also what is advised for after the tiles are laid so i can tell the customer. and one more thing can i tile from one room straight through to another or have an expansion joint where the doorframe is? need advice as i want to get it right

M

mattle40

sorry i think they are seperate, as in you can control which area is heated in the house and also it was tested up to full heat getting there in 5 degree intervals and was switched off 2 weeks ago

I would put expansion joints in the doorways if the rooms are heated seperately,
I would imagine this would push ditra to its limits and i wouldn't be comfortable with the install my self

Eager to hear other opinions myself to be honest.

Hi
I presume you are laying the matting on a screeded floor.
expansion joints at doorways is good.
check screed is laid in one go,if the screed has been laid in different stages you will need to decouple where the join is,ask the customer if uncertain.
once mat or wire has been laid it will need testing,an easy test is to wire a plug on each matting and plug into the wall socket,this is safe up to 10mins but you will only need a couple of mins to know the its all working.
now you should use a latex based self leveling compound and cover the wires.
when dry do another plug in test then you can tile using flexi

W

White Room

Worked on a new build recently,120 mts of limestone on wet ufh,tile supplier was pushing
a new adhesive from Granfix that goes down with no need to decouple.They
supplied a procedure which was done as they advised and its been down since
december with no sign of any problems.Granfix tech will advise on its use.
Saved a lot of money.

Does that include natural stone tiles....

W

White Room

Yes they insist that you use there grout,there tech said the problem they face
is that British standards say that decouple should be used on wet ufh in screed,
as ajax pointed out to me,and most tilers are reluctent to change,even though
its cheeper and much quicker to do the whole job.

We have a rule of thought and stick to it, must admit can't get my head round it not to use decoupling.

M

MRM Tiling

Hi
I presume you are laying the matting on a screeded floor.
expansion joints at doorways is good.
check screed is laid in one go,if the screed has been laid in different stages you will need to decouple where the join is,ask the customer if uncertain.
once mat or wire has been laid it will need testing,an easy test is to wire a plug on each matting and plug into the wall socket,this is safe up to 10mins but you will only need a couple of mins to know the its all working.
now you should use a latex based self leveling compound and cover the wires.
when dry do another plug in test then you can tile using flexi

hi its onto concrete with underfloor piping running throughout. its a hallway with a room to tile just off it then up 4 steps into a kitchen/diner and through into a big living room, all concrete screed and most probably seperately done. im working with the builder who did it all in the morning so il take the info u lads have gave me and put it to him and work it out, thanks

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
No adhesive will prevent tiles and screeds from moving. You uncouple natural stone to help prevent differential movement. Unless the adhesive I made from elastic I would still uncouple.

also it sounds like the screed s no laid correctly as this should have movement joints. This leaves it prone t cracking which means an unstable screed. Fail to uncouple this and I think it will fail

B

bugs183

Yes they insist that you use there grout,there tech said the problem they face
is that British standards say that decouple should be used on wet ufh in screed,
as ajax pointed out to me,and most tilers are reluctent to change,even though
its cheeper and much quicker to do the whole job.

Sorry matey, but this adhesive really does sound too good to be true.
You really are better off uncoupling on u'f'h floors, be it stone or porcelain. Sometimes the time and the cost outweigh the problems that could happen.

As Ajax says (and he's the screed Guru) failure to uncouple could be costly. Would Granfix pay for the whole job to be replaced or just the cost of the adhesive?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to underfloor heating in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have a customer who lives in a 200 year old property. The lounge floor he wants tiled which...
Replies
Views
Hi there, hoping for some help here. I am about to install a small (2.2x2.5m approx) area of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
We had a water underfloor heating installed and tiled over. 3 months later we noticed many tiles...
Replies
Views
Amethsyt
A

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB