UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Underfoor heating electrics – Question!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aspesim

Hi

I’m installing Warmup underfloor heating and want some advice on the electrics...

Before I get an electrician to do the final connections I need to install the back boxes and route the wiring for the thermostat control and for the RCD/fuse box.
Can you confirm that the cold tails (L + N + E) and floor probe are connected straight to the Thermostat. The thermostat is connected to an RCD, and the RCD is connected to the ring main? Do I need to add a fuse box between the ring main and the RDC switch?

Also underfloor heating is part of the building regs do I need to contact the council to inform them of the installation or is the installation done and the electrician informs them be sending off the paperwork?

Thanks inadvance as always

Also posted in the Electricians forum but I’m sure tillers install more warm-up underfloor heating systems.

T

Time's Ran Out

As I'am not qualified to advise on Electrical wiring I wont.
However all 3 cold tails and the floor sensor wires go into the Thermostat control unit at approx 1200mm up the wall, along with the live connections from the fused spur box at approx 400mm from floor. This fused spur is supplied from the ring main/ direct power depending on the size/output of your UFH system.
When I lay UFH, it will be left with cold tails and tested for continuity/resistance for connection (even back boxes) by a qualified electrician. Remember the thermostat box is usually 35mm deep.
As for informing the local council under building regs, I'd assume the part 'p' registered electrician would do this.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
If an electrician does it, he doesn't need to inform the council. If it's carried out by a "competent person" then that person needs to inform the council who will come and check it.

Something like that. Look into it yourself though, please. Things might have changed since I last read what I've rewritten.

B

beano

having installed plenty of them you can lay and tile the cable and leave the tails for the spark to chase and connect, the 'tails' and probe are connected to the thermostat and a fused spur with a 5 amp fuse is connected from a ring main to the thermostat, be carefull if its in a kitchen you may need to run a cable from the rcd, your spark will advise. i would advise to self level the cable before tiling, protects it and also makes if more effective. ive seen tiles dot n dabbed over UFH??!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Underfoor heating electrics – Question!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, Hope you are all having a fantastic Xmas. To cut a long story short I have installed...
Replies
Views
uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views
Hi We have a small cloakroom that we want to put electric underfloor heating in, Was going for...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice on final floor buildup. We're installing a shower tray...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.