Discuss Undersize Floor Tiles ? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

G

grumpygrouter

Firstly welcome to tilers forums. The size on the box is a nominal size. The actual size can vary considerably from nominal and there are sometimes "catagories" of sizes when packaged. it is important to check batch numbers when purchasing tiles as colours, shades and sizes can vary (even in the same number). So, yes these variations are normal, though 6mm is quite a large tolerance...that is DIY sheds for you I am afraid.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris.tiling

TF
Arms
Poole
As Sir Ramic says...I have recently laid a floor with B&Q tiles that said "approx size"...and they were approx! Even tiles from the same box were slightly smaller / larger than other ones. Be grateful that they are all the same size and then use the new dimensions to rework your setting out. Where are you? Someone from the forums may well be able to come round and show you where to start etc

M

medlar

Hi Nickebbrell,what exactly do you mean when you say "bad cuts",The job will be a shard or as simple as you make it,centre your floor,then mark it out to accomodate your tile size.As some of the lads have said,just be glad they are all the same size from B&Q,a lot are NOT.or did you mean that with 450mm tiles they worked out as full tiles with only the odd cut?
a little bit more info on the problem you think you may have will go a long way to getting you the advice you need/want

Jimmy

Just bought some 450 x 450 Castle Travertine Cream Floor tiles from B & Q. Thought the size would just fit in nicely with the bathroom dimensions without any bad cuts. When I actually measured them they are all 444mm square, which messes up my plans. Is it normal for such a discrepancy ? Would another batch be likely to be the same ? Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi all i work in Spain and i have never had such problems with the discrepencies you boys are encounting, a lot of people use seconds here but they are only called that because the colour does not match the shop sample but they are much the same size, ime sure someone will say that they have used Spanish tiles and they are crap but i can assure you that they only export the crapp and keep the best for themselves, believe it or not i was in the U.K. over Xmas and bought some tiles from B&Qfor my kitchen in Spain, long story wont go into it now, cant wait to open the box.
Regards Andy

N

nickebbrell

Thanks for all your replies. I can set them out correctly but I would have liked to have nearly 4 full tiles from the shower tray to the wall instead of 3 and 2 near halves or 4 and a narrow cut. I just thought I had cracked it that was all and if it was unusual to get a 6mm tolerance I would complain and see if I could get a batch nearer the stated size.

As it looks like my luck is out would you go for a 20mm slither against the opposite wall where ther is a WC, wall hung basin and Rad and have a full tile against the tray or a near half against the wall and the tray ( which hits you as you go in the room ) ????

Any suggestions would be appreciated

G

grumpygrouter

Thanks for all your replies. I can set them out correctly but I would have liked to have nearly 4 full tiles from the shower tray to the wall instead of 3 and 2 near halves or 4 and a narrow cut. I just thought I had cracked it that was all and if it was unusual to get a 6mm tolerance I would complain and see if I could get a batch nearer the stated size.

As it looks like my luck is out would you go for a 20mm slither against the opposite wall where ther is a WC, wall hung basin and Rad and have a full tile against the tray or a near half against the wall and the tray ( which hits you as you go in the room ) ????

Any suggestions would be appreciated
You need to set out your tiles so you end up with a balanced look if possible. Having a full tile on one side and a small cut on the other will look strange and you, especially, will notice it every time you enter the room. Also, trying to put a full tile up against the wall is not practical, are you sure the walls are square? if they are not square you will end up having to put long thin triangular shaped cuts in where the wall runs out of square. Much better to try and cut a tile that has got lots of "meat" either side of the cut line, tends to "hide" things better and will certainly cut much better.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Undersize Floor Tiles ? in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi, 1st time tiling, decided our ensuite would benefit from being a wetroom. Quick question, any...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB