Discuss Unimat, crunching floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Patric

Hi Everyone,

Hope you can help me, a couple of years ago we had a tiled floor installed, but within months it had developed a crunching sound in certain areas. The installer ( no longer trading ) had used Unimat supplied by Trimline, which appears to have failed. We are in correspondence with Trimline but progress is slow.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or can offer advice

thank you

D

DHTiling

There were quite a few brands that were all made in the same factory and they had a manufacture period that there was a fault with the gluing of the polyethylene to the fleece backing and this in turn has caused some failures where as the top part delaminates from the fleece , it does not cause any tile failure other than the crunching sound you get , bit like walking on broken egg shells.

What Dural UK have been doing is injecting a none setting resin that softens the crunching sound , this is done by injecting through the grout joints and flooding the void between the top layer and the fleece.

I understand that there are now companies who sub-contract and do this independently if you struggle to get unimat(trim line) to cough up for a failed matting.

Hope this info helps.

J

jonnyc

same here.
crikey i only used dural on one job im my life and it still haunts me.
only reason i used it was because they guaranteed mat with an adhesive bed thickness over 10mm
whereas schluter did not.
i laid a really expensive reclaimed old jerusalem floor and small 100 x 100 reclaimed french terrracotta in two areas.
job was ijust south of birmingham ,lovely setting.
18 months later i get a call like i guess we all have had who are afffected by this , saying the there is a stramnge crackling sound under tiles.
it was also anhydrite screed so double trouble no doubt.
asked if i could pop by if ever in area but have not been past watford since !!

D

DHTiling

Thank you all for your responses, has anyone heard of a successful claim to get a floor relaid or compensation, either in court or out??
David Howe Tiling, your comments are exactly where we seem to be at, we are hesitant to try the injection system as the grout lines will be covered in dots as a perfect match would be difficult.

Good luck with your issue and keep us informed how it goes.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Unimat, crunching floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
  • Article
If you've been on any of the Goldtrowel Tiling Courses then please leave feedback and reviews in...
Replies
Views
R
I just read a post from guy wanting to shadow a tiler,and in return would offer free labour.I...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
swanman
S
C
our floor tiles have started making a crunching sound. Pulling them up is not an option. Is...
Replies
Views
Rookery
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB