UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Unknown Substrate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

cjbombero

Went to quote for re-tiling an en-suite yesterday, everything was pretty straight forward except for the substrate. The wall appears to be skimmed plaster with a fiberous wood board underneath, it alsmost resembles wood chippings! The customer hasn't bought any tiles yet but is looking at 250 x 400, i'm a bit worried about potential weight problems.

The house was built in the mid 1980's and is in Milton Keynes, if anyone has encountered this before please point me in the right direction:thumbsup:

cjbombero

P.S - It definately isn't chipboard and its origional and throught the entire house.

M

MrSpoon

"Particle Boards

Particle Board is basically the substitute for Plywood, black board solid wood panels.

Basically Particle Boards is an agro based panel products and is manufactured both in plain and prelaminated quality.

Particle Board is a reconstituted wood panel product. Wood or agro residue is converted in to chips in the process of chipping and milling. This is followed by drying where excess moisture is reduced and uniformally controlled. Dryed chipsare mixed with synthetic resin in the mixing process, thereby forming chips mats of three layer constituency. the Particle mats are pressed and boards are cured in a heated pres thore with a temperature up to 180 degree and then boards are trimmed to desired size and thickness."
mdf-p.gif

is that the stuff?

smokie899

TF
Esteemed
Arms
had that proplem a few weeks ago (NIGHTMARE) from a council house bath with shower above it was leaking but the guy only wanted the wall replaced on the long side of the bath replaced as that was were the leak was so start to take tiles off was goin to remove rotten plaster board the n reboard and seal then tile when all had dried out. thing being there was no plaster board just what you found very like compressd hay that is the only way i can describe it and shock horror no joists. the house was a single brick build with this stuff used as breze block and for stud walls. the crazy 80s. only way round it as the guy did not want to replace wall as bedroom next room would be affected was to cut above the damp area then dig allthe damp out left to dry outfor a week so there was about 6ft of solid tiled wall above and 2ft of litterly nowt belowand no way of fixing joists. put marine grade ply 1\2"in the cavity of wall stuck with expanding foam as this stuff is uneven and not much will stick to it that will strengthen the bedroom side wall as you could have poked your fingerthourgh into the b\room. (bath had been removed prior).then put batton on b\room floor level with exsisting wall then ply boarded the wall. glued and screwed with one joint down the middle of wall to try and keep as solid as possible.tanked and tiled turned out very solid no movement. but remember this was done on the cheep i recomended replaceing wall from start i dont do botched jobs but i can so no future probs with it as there is no weight on it and never will be

C

cjbombero

That seems to be the stuff! Like you say you poke into the wall in the bathroom and get all the way into the bedroom:mad2:

There isn't any water penetration around the shower area and although I would like to board it out the shower cubicle has been built exactly 750 sq so adding sheets will cause more problems.

Anyone know what kind of weight limits these particle boards have? Should I prime the surface first and what ady would you use (spf?)

Thanks for the help

cjbombero

C

cjbombero

Maybe thats not the substrate, although all the clues point in that direction. It seems strange that both the en-suite and bathroom have been tiled onto for over twenty years and the whole estate is the same apparently. Maybe it could be something else?

If I board the walls out I won't be able fit the shower tray in as the enclosure is only 750 x 750. If I re-skim the walls with a fresh coat of plaster would that help??

cjbombero

C

cjbombero

Yep sounds like the stuff! The guy has checked and its definately particle boards, they make the entire wall about 2 inches thick! I've spoken to the customer and i'm going to board the walls out with 6mm hardi, because the shower tray only just fits in the recess i'm going to have the tray installed and then board down to it. Will I get away with this?

I've suggested tanking the shower out to protect the walls a little more, just depends if i can squeeze a little more money out after he has just bought boards.

cjbombero

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Unknown Substrate in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.