Discuss Updating Existing Wetroom in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jackut

Hi

I've just purchased a property with an existing wet room that had been built specifically for the previous owner who was wheelchair bound, so I am presuming the wetroom is of a decent standard.

Unfortunately the tiling is not exactly to my tastes, in that it has been built as practically as possible using swimming pool changing room style, very grippy, grey tiles, that make it look a bit drab and uninviting.

So, I would like to change these with some travertine tiles that were left over from a house renovation at my parents and would like to know the best method of doing this?
I was thinking I might just take up the old tiles but have been advised that I risk breaching the tanking meaning it would have to be re-done, so my other thought is to tile over the current tiles and just raise the drain up to the new level.

Any advice on the best option would be most welcome and if the second option is a viable one, what would be the best way to lift the drain the few millimeters up to bring it flush with the new tiles (buy a new drain perhaps??).

Thank you in advance.

A

Animac

Hi

I've just purchased a property with an existing wet room that had been built specifically for the previous owner who was wheelchair bound, so I am presuming the wetroom is of a decent standard.

Unfortunately the tiling is not exactly to my tastes, in that it has been built as practically as possible using swimming pool changing room style, very grippy, grey tiles, that make it look a bit drab and uninviting.

So, I would like to change these with some travertine tiles that were left over from a house renovation at my parents and would like to know the best method of doing this?
I was thinking I might just take up the old tiles but have been advised that I risk breaching the tanking meaning it would have to be re-done, so my other thought is to tile over the current tiles and just raise the drain up to the new level.

Any advice on the best option would be most welcome and if the second option is a viable one, what would be the best way to lift the drain the few millimeters up to bring it flush with the new tiles (buy a new drain perhaps??).

Thank you in advance.

I'm in exactly the same situation. I'm undecided whether to change back to a bathroom or update the wet room (maybe put in a free standing bath?). I'd be really happy to hear some ideas. Any idea of rough cost for both options, just for labour?

Obviously I'll be getting quotes, but I'd just like an idea so I know whether I'll be putting up with a very clinical and unstylish wet room while I save!

Q

Qwerty

Prices can't be discussed in the open forums I'm afraid.

As for tiling over old tiles.......don't do it! Remove all old tiles, and start again. There is every chance the tanking is insufficient anyway! Not cheap, but then again wet rooms done properly never are.

You could always post a request for a tiler/ wet room installer in the "I need a tiler" section of the forum.

Any pics of existing room?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Updating Existing Wetroom in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB