Discuss **** ups in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mike ramsdale

So whats everyones most stupid mistake?
My first job for a company I worked for a few years back , gaffer said just be careful with the the bath it's a villeroy and boch quaryl one. Me being a being a bit of an idiot, thought 'never damaged a bath yet, no worries'. Chucked a sheet of ply on it as I always do and just cracked on with the job got everything tiled no prob, removed ply, all good, there was one spacer stuck in joint just above the bath so i got the Stanley on it but went downwards with the knife instead of upwards and absoloutley butchered the bath, big score line about 5mm deep. Bath doctor couldnt fix as the quaryl cant be repaired apparently. Was well embarrased when I had to tell the gaffer.

O

One Day

You know the tubs of wonder wipes with the cross cut in the lid for pulling the wipes through?
I pushed my finger through the hole and got it well and truly stuck.
My right hand index finger (I'm right handed).
No amount of pulling was going to release my now blue and numb finger as the cross slits made a four-way barb, digging in and cutting as I pulled out.
In my panic (nobody else in the house) I heated up a stanley knife blade on the stove and with my shaky left hand, cut myself free.
Left my finger burnt, bleeding and feeling very stupid.

M

Mike ramsdale

You know the tubs of wonder wipes with the cross cut in the lid for pulling the wipes through?
I pushed my finger through the hole and got it well and truly stuck.
My right hand index finger (I'm right handed).
No amount of pulling was going to release my now blue and numb finger as the cross slits made a four-way barb, digging in and cutting as I pulled out.
In my panic (nobody else in the house) I heated up a stanley knife blade on the stove and with my shaky left hand, cut myself free.
Left my finger burnt, bleeding and feeling very stupid.
haha.......now be honest, you Sure it was your finger?

Glasgow
Just time served got sent to a job in a farm house cottage set out floor running through kitchen into dining room wanting to make a name for myself as a super fast tiler , started laying tiles everything was going great until a put the second stretch into the dining room and starting to cut into the walls awas running off parallel from a full tile to a 40mm slither . Moral of this check and check again or you will be stripping it 20 years on I've never made that mistake again

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
EPSOM
I remember when I first started out way back when:eek:.. I was tiling a large kitchen wall with a double doorway in the middle ... Put my level line around but wasn't concentrating and marked top of level on right side... And yes ... Bottom of level on left side.... And tiled to lines ... ( In those days could hang down.. 6" pilks)....thank god it was only a couple of yards fixed before I noticed...

wayne

TF
leeds
I remember when I first started out way back when:eek:.. I was tiling a large kitchen wall with a double doorway in the middle ... Put my level line around but wasn't concentrating and marked top of level on right side... And yes ... Bottom of level on left side.... And tiled to lines ... ( In those days could hang down.. 6" pilks)....thank god it was only a couple of yards fixed before I noticed...
Been there done that but tiled a full toilet lobby area minus the doorways which I left while last

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Back in the day!! Had just finished restoring a Victorian hallway, van packed, last job empty 80 lit of dirty waste cleaning water out of the wet vac , looked about for the main drain
Found a smallish drain and proceeded to empty the lot .

Sat in the van and then the Client came up the side of the van, stated " you might want to have look at this"

I had disposed of 80 lit of dirty water into the cellar vent!!!! Which looked like a drain

Luckily for me the cellar was empty, and 3 hours of rinsing later ,I was on my way.

Lesson learnt!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to **** ups in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB