UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Urgent advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jon Lang

Hi everyone, im a 23 yr old and I have been a cards in tiler for the past six years and was recently dismissed when I split up with the bosses niece, I am wanting to go self employed but I have no idea how or how to get work? I have recently just bought my first house and all the work I have at the moment is about to run dry, any advice would be much appreciated, thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Drastik Lee

Hi & Welcome....I had a similar scenario years ago the best thing to do is put yourself out there as much as possible get yourself a website try Free Website Builder - Moonfruit - Total website design control try to get yourself advertised as much as possible also try sending out emails to builders in your area and maybe go and see a business advisor see if tiling is viable in your area if your work is good the jobs will come in ....also make sure you take your time on jobs dont do a 50p job the best workers out there will tell you "put the effort in and you will reap the rewards" and your never to "GOOD" to learn new skills

Hope this helps a little

:thumbsup:

B

bugs183

Hiya!
If i was in your shoes i'd do a number of things, now these are sensible and boring but necessary.

1. Try and love your job, ours is a finishing trade, and people can't wait for us to get in and tile, if someone does a duff job the customer is Very disappointed as visually it is so obvious, but on the other hand do a great job and you'll be a hero to the customer, and they will recommend you.

2. Business cards. Get loads done, hand them out everywhere to everyone, it could lead to one phone call that keeps you busy. Name. address, phone number, website, email and what services you do. Vital.

3. And this for me has been the turning point in my business, take pricing seriously.
Never price when you see the job, say to the customer it'll take a couple of days. Now you can think about the job. How long will it take, what materials will you need etc, is there anything awkward or special you need to pay attention too or order. Price it m2, then price it day rate plus adhesive, which works out better for you. Don't work for nothing, but also don't overprice, people aren't daft.

4. Learn Excel. Every pc computer has it, and yes when you turn it on it's just a grid, but this grid is the best tool you can own. Ask any friends that work in offices if they know how to use it, or go on Youtube and look at 'excel fun' and it teaches you easily how it works. This program does everything, all my invoices are generated on it, it can do all your pricing, material costs, add VAT, do your markup, addresses everything. It has totally changed how i work and i cannot recommend it enough.
5. Buy the best tools you can, nice tools make your day easier, and you can offset them against tax.

So there you go, turn up on time, let the customer know if you can't make it when booked (don't ignore this), and it will sort itself.
JB.

M

Mike Mike

What does "I have been a cards in tiler for the past six years" mean? You were employed by someone else?? "...and was recently dismissed when I split up with the bosses niece."

Is that reasonable grounds for dismissal? Before spending out on advertising and a website you might want to go and see an employment solicitor or the Citizen's Advice Bureau and discuss unfair dismissal. You never know, your former boss may be liable to pay you compensation if he/she fired you just because you broke off a relationship with his/her niece.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hiya!
If i was in your shoes i'd do a number of things, now these are sensible and boring but necessary.

1. Try and love your job, ours is a finishing trade, and people can't wait for us to get in and tile, if someone does a duff job the customer is Very disappointed as visually it is so obvious, but on the other hand do a great job and you'll be a hero to the customer, and they will recommend you.

2. Business cards. Get loads done, hand them out everywhere to everyone, it could lead to one phone call that keeps you busy. Name. address, phone number, website, email and what services you do. Vital.

3. And this for me has been the turning point in my business, take pricing seriously.
Never price when you see the job, say to the customer it'll take a couple of days. Now you can think about the job. How long will it take, what materials will you need etc, is there anything awkward or special you need to pay attention too or order. Price it m2, then price it day rate plus adhesive, which works out better for you. Don't work for nothing, but also don't overprice, people aren't daft.

4. Learn Excel. Every pc computer has it, and yes when you turn it on it's just a grid, but this grid is the best tool you can own. Ask any friends that work in offices if they know how to use it, or go on Youtube and look at 'excel fun' and it teaches you easily how it works. This program does everything, all my invoices are generated on it, it can do all your pricing, material costs, add VAT, do your markup, addresses everything. It has totally changed how i work and i cannot recommend it enough.
5. Buy the best tools you can, nice tools make your day easier, and you can offset them against tax.

So there you go, turn up on time, let the customer know if you can't make it when booked (don't ignore this), and it will sort itself.
JB.

Very sound advice! Cheers JB. :)

M

Muse2k8

And why is that? Do you think it's fair for the o.p. to be sacked just because he split with his bosses niece?

tapatalk on my HTC

I'm with Mike and SM on this. If your were dismissed for that reason then you would have grounds for unfair dismissal. I for one wouldn't be happy if this was the case and any comp you might get would certainly help your startup costs.

JB.

Great, solid advice all round but this point is very important. It's all to easy to get caught up in the pricing and give the customer a verbal price. In my opinion, it's better for you and more professional if you go away, work it out properly and send the customer a full written quote, detailing all the work you'll do, the materials used and any extras that are needed.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Urgent advice needed in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought a house dated around the 1920/30s and found black and white tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, I have recently started the task of renovating the bathroom in my flat and am at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.