Discuss using 2 different coloured grouts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rob59

Hi, new here and have made a quick search to see if a question like thjis has been asked before, but couldn't find one so here goes...

I need to grout using two colours - white and dark grey/black. I plan to use the dark grout first and let dry, then mask off the dark and apply the white. Has anybody got any experience of this who could tell me if this is the best procedure? Also a general question - part of the work will be in a shower cubicle and I am concerned that the white grout will not make a water proof bond to the dried dark grout. Is this a reasonable concern or am I worrying unecessarily?

Any advice gratefully received.
Rob

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi and welcome. I did a very similar job last year.

SAM_2668.JPG SAM_2666.JPG SAM_2665.JPG

I did the Grey grouting first. Leaving a spacer peg in each of the grey tiles and taped over with masking tape. The spacer peg prevents grout bleeding in under the tape.
I left it a couple of days before doing the white. Taped over the mosaic edges and grouted spreading away from the feature. Handy to have a damp cloth at this stage to remove any white grout that may get on the grey grout.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I've just done a bathroom with mosaic feature behind toilet. Field tile in shades of beige and mosaic in brown. Grouted field tiles first in BAL limestone, next day taped off joints next to mosaics and grouted mosaics in brown grout.

I find it easier to do the colour with less joints first, that way you have less joints to mask off.

O

On one

Hi and welcome. I did a very similar job last year.

View attachment 50228 View attachment 50227 View attachment 50226

I did the Grey grouting first. Leaving a spacer peg in each of the grey tiles and taped over with masking tape. The spacer peg prevents grout bleeding in under the tape.
I left it a couple of days before doing the white. Taped over the mosaic edges and grouted spreading away from the feature. Handy to have a damp cloth at this stage to remove any white grout that may get on the grey grout.
Was siliconing behind the basin tricky?

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to using 2 different coloured grouts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi any advice on what would go with what. I've layed off white tiles on floor with grey...
Replies
Views
Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
Hi Has anyone used a grout colourant that is suitable for outdoors? If so which one would they...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi - any advice would be gratefully received. The colour of the grout in my bathroom varies...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB