Guest viewing is limited

Discuss VAT Increase in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

SandyFloor

For those of us not vat registered working for the public our overheads will rise by 1.89% plus our customers will have less excess income to spend on home improvements so that's not good. My concern there is customers put too much emphasis on price rather than quality.

I think it really comes down to customers having the confidence to invest in their homes without worrying too much about their own jobs and income so hopefully the economy will turn round and show a steady growth and unemployment starts falling. I'm no economist so I have to hope the current government get it right.

M

mikethetile

there will be a general rise in the cost of living of more than 2.5%

and it will cause a slowdown in the recovery as peeps will have less disposable income

everyone needs to be paying less tax not more

I can understand the goverments argument that this is a tax on spending not income, if so go back to the first principles of vat where it was on luxuries not day today essentials, you can hardly describe fuel for work as a luxury or tools of your trade for that matter

all building work , tools and materials should be exempt inc the vans we have to buy

if the government were being truthfull about all of this they would have decreased income tax first and then increased vat

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
but if you're not VAT registered it shouldn't make much of a difference,( apart from 2.5% on materials, fuel etc)
And of course your living costs too though doug! Which means your earnings will need to increase also.

I think it'll mean more than 2.5% even on a business NOT VAT registered. Perhaps less of an impact on those who ARE VAT registered providing their customers are too?

R

RockCeramics

Had to do an Estimate for an up & coming job (if i get it that is)
On completion my Estimate would bring my earnings over the VAT threshold of £69k+
So i had to put VAT on part of Estimate which increases my quote by x amount.
Spoke to HMRC/VAT and they said i would have to contact thn 30days before i reach the threshold to register. But they did state that if i can prove that my next 12 months earnings will be below threshold then they say i might not have to register.
I suppose this all goes whether i get my estimate approved, if not i might be able to reduce by 17.5% if i dont need to reg for vat.

M

mikethetile

Had to do an Estimate for an up & coming job (if i get it that is)
On completion my Estimate would bring my earnings over the VAT threshold of £69k+
So i had to put VAT on part of Estimate which increases my quote by x amount.
Spoke to HMRC/VAT and they said i would have to contact thn 30days before i reach the threshold to register. But they did state that if i can prove that my next 12 months earnings will be below threshold then they say i might not have to register.
I suppose this all goes whether i get my estimate approved, if not i might be able to reduce by 17.5% if i dont need to reg for vat.
20% if your going to be paid after january1st 2011

D

Deleted member 1779

Will it have much of an impact on you?

We cant change the price of the Bathroom Fitters from £49.99 to £51.06 because it looks weird and also we have all the printed material and catalogues done.

To change the catalogues would not be cost effective.

So we will have to absorb the loss off our bottom line. So instead of the kit being £42.55 before VAT it will now have to be £41.66 (OK so a difference of £0.89p) But we will have to miss out on that 89p and take it off our bottom line.

Will the VAT make a difference? Yes... To us ! We will be worse off.

365drills_pack.jpg

Reply to VAT Increase in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Been advised to move this post to the uk forum, didn’t realise it was in the USA forum Would...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, Thanks for being members here on TilersForums.com - it is a pleasure to have you! I...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
VAT Increase
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.