UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Very bad parent in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Very touchy subject, I am a parent and disagree with any sort of violent punishment. I was brought up in a very strict household with a lot of physical punishment and I feel that I'm no better off for it, I'll never raise my hands to my kids because I genuinely believe it makes no difference. I don't disagree with physical punishment, I just think there are better ways to teach right from wrong.

D

doug boardley

this is my facebook status at the moment Nick..

[h=6]This should be done in every classroom.
A teacher was teaching her class about bullying and gave them the following exercise to perform. She had the children take out a piece of paper and told them to crumple it up, stomp on it and really mess it up, not to rip it. Then she had them unfold the paper, smooth it out and look at how scarred and dirty it was. She then told them to tell it they’re sor.........r...y. Now, even though they said they were sorry and tried to fix the paper, she pointed out all the scars they left behind. And that those scars will never go away no matter how hard they tried to fix it. That is what happens when a child bullies another child, they may say they’re sorry, but the scars are there forever. The looks on the faces of the children in the classroom told her the message hit home. Please copy and paste this if you are against bullying. What's the worst that could happen....takes just a min. Please.
[/h]Like · · 3 hours ago

I

Ian

I agree, have and would never raise my hand to my little lad. However people should still be aware of the suffering that some kids go through. If it is brushed under the carpet, these poor kids have less chance of living a life without this kind of treatment. Surely because this is now public, this is better than not. Pity it is too late for him to stand trial.

The more publicity the better, my wife works for Marie Curie but we also do a lot of work for the NSPCC, it's a horrible subject but people need to see it to shock them into helping, it's a shame it has to be that way but, it works. People who abuse children are the lowest form of life, sorry to get all serious but it's something I strongly believe in and also do a lot to support. I suppose you've hit a nerve, but in a good way :thumbsup:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

I watched the original video all the way through.. with tears in my eyes. Very very sad and distressing, it only made my resolve stronger never to raise my hand.... I really try hard to be a good parent, it is really hard at times,trying to coax,reason with and discipline a 6 year old with a mind of his own who uses logic and good reasoning skills in his arguments... little beggers, we love em, but they frustrate the heck out of us at times. However I will always try to lead by example,and try to instill good values.If punishment is necessary then would always take the route of witholding priveledges..
Still no need to raise a fist, hand or belt to them, they are our own flesh and blood and human beings in their own right.

D

doug boardley

I watched the original video all the way through.. with tears in my eyes. Very very sad and distressing, it only made my resolve stronger never to raise my hand.... I really try hard to be a good parent, it is really hard at times,trying to coax,reason with and discipline a 6 year old with a mind of his own who uses logic and good reasoning skills in his arguments... little beggers, we love em, but they frustrate the heck out of us at times. However I will always try to lead by example,and try to instill good values.If punishment is necessary then would always take the route of witholding priveledges..
Still no need to raise a fist, hand or belt to them, they are our own flesh and blood and human beings in their own right.
Nick, we seems to be responding a lot tonight, good!, like yourself I have a 6 year old, also a 5 year old, (actually for one day in the year they're both the same age), both have had their bums smacked when they really have pushed the boundaries and for this I make no apologies as one blames the other and vice versa, don't get me wrong, it's more of a furrowed brow and cross word and a tap that stills the little beggars....

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
you wait till you have teenagers that know everything, what dose my 13 yr old daughter want for chritsmas?.......a nose piercing:yikes: i said no, so she asked for a lip piercing :yikes::yikes:, told her when shes 18 she can turn herself into a pin cushion if she wants, hopefully she will have grown out of it by then.

piont is if you think its trying now, you aint seen nothing yet, i would still never raise a hand to her and my favourite saying is 'your grounded' which is normally followed by 'what evvv...errr' which seems to be the normal teenage responce to everything.

but discipline is something every parent must master, and as already said removing privileges seems to work in most cases without the need to result to violence,........besides which just taking her phone of her for a couple of days installs the fear of god into her, more than any beating could.:lol:.

Q

Qwerty

That is an inexcusable and disgusting way to treat any child especially one with a disability. I am no advocate of corporal punishment, but have smacked both of my daughters when they have really pushed the limits and no other form of discipline worked. I was brought up respecting my elders and was suitably punished when I failed to honour that respect.......and do not feel that they did anything wrong at all. At school I had the cane, rulers across my knuckles and earlobes pinched hard! Years ago this was acceptable to a degree, but society has changed....... and sadly not for the better. Im not saying beating kids is right, but in my household (and I am sure I am the same as 90% of homes in the UK)....I have found a happy middle ground where smacking is not necessary and the naughty step or withdrawal of privileges suffices.

Children no longer have respect for their elders, parents or law & order. The stem of all of these problems?........ bad parenting!!! Teach your kids the right values in life, treat them with respect, invest your time with them and the chances are that your kids will be loving, caring and make you proud. The number of times I see & hear parents say- "You do that one more time and you will not get ***(insert treat of your choice!)", then seconds later just give in despite the badly behaved child!

Look at things on television, like bad lads army. All of the lads on there said that they prefer being disciplined and feel that it was a lack of discipline as to why they were badly behaved. All of the bad parents I know have bad kids, and vice versa. I bet if you stopped and spoke to a group of badly behaved kids on a street near you in the middle of the night....... they would all say that their parents didnt care where they were!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
i hate things like this,my parents were not too strict,a raised voice and we would do as we were told,my dad never hit any of us,dident have too.

i slapped my eldest on the butt once,when she was about 9,really pushed me all day,i regretted it from the second i did it(it was not a hard slap by the way)i still regret it to this day ,makes me feel guilty even now typing it.

i have a 5 year old as well now,the eldest being 20,i would never ever raise my hand to her,i am not a big man,just 5.8,but if i raise my voice,they hear it,and IMHO that should be enough.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Very bad parent in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Very bad parent
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

Results are only viewable after voting.

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.