Discuss Victorian tile path from scratch in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stepbark

Hello All,

First post in the forums….great website! Already had loads of info and ideas from looking through some of the posts.

I’m planning to lay two Victorian tile paths from scratch for customers who live next door to each other. Each path roughly 6m x 1m and to be separated with a run of Victorian rope edging.

This may be a foolhardy move as I’m really a gardener who does a bit of landscaping and haven’t done any tiling before but am keen to give it a crack (no pun intended) and hopefully with some of your help I’ll be able to get a good job done.

I’m planning to lay concrete 100mm thick on to 50mm compacted sub-base. One path a couple of days after the other so they can still get to their front doors easily while each one cures, and with a gap between the two paths for the rope edging.

I was after some advice on whether the thickness of concrete and sub-base sound ok? Also, should the slabs be reinforced, have expansion joints, or both? I noticed a post about fibres for concrete which I’ve never used before – would they be an alternative? Obviously don’t want expansion joints running through the middle of the tiles, so if they are required how would I avoid them being seen on the finished paths?

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Will be back at some stage with photos if all goes to plan, or a cry for help if it doesn’t!

All the best,

Steve

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Victorian tile path from scratch in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB