Discuss Vinegar on limestone !!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Just finished a limestone floor and the customer has smashed a bottle of vinegar all over the floor :banghead: Has pretty much eaten straight through the sealer (lithofin stain stop) Was thinking I will have to strip the damaged ones and re apply sealer. What product do I need to strip the sealer off ? or any other ideas ?

Hi, unfortunately there may be damage to the surface finish of the stone, the acidic properties of the vinegar will cut into any sealer/ impregnator and then possibly damage the surface finish of the stone (cutting into the calcium carb) if the contaminant / vinigar is not removed immediately after spillage, this can sometimes be seconds rather than minutes . ( no Impregnator on the market holds acidic damage) they are there for water and oil reppelance ,installation and maintenance

If you had a slight excess of the stain stop, ( ideally there would not be, always fully remove your excess product when installing) try to strip back / cut into the product with lithofin wax off or any suitable stripper. Do your test on one stone, give a generouse 10-12 min saturation , don't let dry out and use a white pad every 1-2 min to gently clean over the stone.
rinse and towel dry stones . Let dry and see whats happened.

If damaged areas disappear , (you did have excess, luckily in this case) finish all contaminated areas and leaves stones to fully dry , several days / or until fully dry for me. And re impregnate

If not ,you may need to re surface finish the stones to required finish , honed? Semi honed? Polished?

Cheers

Any further problems of removing the product ( stain stop) call lithofin tech line number on back of bottle for help
( am I ok saying this on the forum, please someone comment , cheers bob

W

White Room

Hi, unfortunately there may be damage to the surface finish of the stone, the acidic properties of the vinegar will cut into any sealer/ impregnator and then possibly damage the surface finish of the stone (cutting into the calcium carb) if the contaminant / vinigar is not removed immediately after spillage, this can sometimes be seconds rather than minutes . ( no Impregnator on the market holds acidic damage) they are there for water and oil reppelance ,installation and maintenance

If you had a slight excess of the stain stop, ( ideally there would not be, always fully remove your excess product when installing) try to strip back / cut into the product with lithofin wax off or any suitable stripper. Do your test on one stone, give a generouse 10-12 min saturation , don't let dry out and use a white pad every 1-2 min to gently clean over the stone.

If damaged areas disappear , (you did have excess, luckily in this case) finish all contaminated areas and leaves stones to fully dry , several days / or until fully dry for me. And re impregnate

If not ,you may need to re surface finish the stones to required finish , honed? Semi honed? Polished?

Cheers

Any further problems of removing the product ( stain stop) call lithofin tech line number on back of bottle for help

You have replied with good advise Bob, I see no need to chastise anyone for that....

J

jonnyc

Cheers

Bob aren't you the Lithofin tech expert man who would give this help anyway!!

for anyone on this forum who doesn't know bob that well , I can say that in my view he is one of the most informed and educated guys I know on the subject of stone/tile cleaning restoration.

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Hampshire
Bob aren't you the Lithofin tech expert man who would give this help anyway!!

for anyone on this forum who doesn't know bob that well , I can say that in my view he is one of the most informed and educated guys I know on the subject of stone/tile cleaning restoration.

thanks for your comment Jonny, yes it will come to the team or me, hope your well and i know you will be busy, loved the marble work!! stunning,
cheers bob

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Vinegar on limestone !!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I did a limestone floor for a customer which I washed and sealed, then grouted 24 hours...
Replies
Views
Hi , I am about to start my tiling project, it's quite large at 60m2. I have underfloor heating...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB