UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Vitrified tile issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andyno_1

Hi all,

I've looked for information in a number of places but hopefully someone here may be able to help

We've just tiled our kitchen floor with 605mm square vitrified tiles (Asian, hi-gloss dove grey if it helps) and whilst we understood that vitrified was a good bet as it was stain resistant and hard wearing we've experienced anything but in the 2 days it's been down

Firstly, the tiles seem to scratch very easily - A number of them were already scratched straight out of the box somehow. We've since dropped a single teaspoon on one which also left a mark.....Not as ideal for a kitchen floor as we were lead to believe.

Is there any way to add a protective layer/seal to the floor despite them being glazed? and is it possible to polish out the scratches further down the line as required?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

A

Andyno_1

We didn't lay any of the scratched tiles, I need to have a long drawn out conversation with the supplier to get them changed today actually.

I can try and sort out pictures tonight but there's not much specifically to show as yet, more a concern that they're going to end up looking shabby. With no way of preventing it (or polishing it out in future) we've going to end up tip-toeing around hoping to avoid scratches.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Did the tile supplier provide any fitting and care intrstructions?
I've fitted polished porcelain tiles in the past that have required the use of a "stripper" product to remove the wax layer from manufacturing before applying the protector. The wax layer does mark and show scratches.

I can't imagine scratches showing up any other way from what you've described.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
i laid a porcalain tile like this last year from a reputable supplier and paid a good price for it as well, scratched terribly and after 3 days was in a shocking state

my advice is to get them on site to inspect and argue the case they are not fit for purpose....you are correct what state will they be in a year down the line?

also check the advise of the supplier and tiler if these were meant to be sealed or wax removed etc 1st

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Vitrified tile issues in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We have to lift a section of floor in the kitchen and would like to replace with the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.