Discuss Wall and floor tiling by Cyril Carter in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

I've seen a few people mention this book lately, so thought I would order myself a copy. It arrived today and I'm itching to have a read. I'll let you know what it's like. Has anyone else read it?
uhynyreg.jpg
a8egu3ur.jpg

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I'm probably half way through the book now and all I can say is, have a read. The history of tiling is awe inspiring. Have a look at where our trade came from

Good eh Bri, my early days as an indentured apprentice, were in the last years of sand and cement fixing.

My job every morning, in the dead of winter was to break the ice off the soaking drum and take out the tiles that had been soaking over night, I had to remove my shirt and delve/dive to the bottom of the 45 Gallon drum to retrieve every last tile.

Then stack them to drain, in those days we had to apply a scratch coat to the brick walls before we could start fixing.

All compo was mixed by hand, there were no windows or doors in place, as we were in right after the brickies. I could never dry out or get warm on those jobs, but I didn't know any different then.

Tiling was a hard mans game back then, I'm glad you are enjoying the book mate.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Not quite as old for me Phil. My days started getting to work 30 minutes before the tilers to get 2 bankers of compo mixed, either by hand or diesel mixer.
Wheel barrow it in or by bucket. Stack the tiles and then all day switch between cutting tiles and labouring.

Bankers Neale, that brings back memories, we used to mix what was called a dead elephant.:lol:

Carter,Cyril & Hidden - wall & Floor tiling book!

Evening everyone!

Ive just purchased this book off the internet this evening after stumbling upon a thread on another forum reg Victorian and geometric tiling. Something as a trainee I'm very interested in. I'm actually working on a 16m2 Victorian hall way in Cambridge starting Thursday. First job I've been involved in since I've started and am very excited and keen to learn the correct way of setting out etc. This is the main reason I wanted to buy this book as there seems to be varied opinions on the way borders and certain cuts should look and I'm told this tells you the right way of doing things.(I hope it bloody does as it's just cost me £28)
we'll see how the two blokes I'm working with go about this as I'm just the cutter and mixer on this one!!

Ill perhaps post some pictures up if people are interested??

Danny

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wall and floor tiling by Cyril Carter in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

PVA V PRIMERS – WHy you should never use PVA Glue when Wall Tiling Don’t listen to that idiot...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Kitchen Tiling Guide This simple Kitchen Tiling Guide is something a lot of people could have...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Looking for some technical advice on these tiles please. Our installers fitted this CaPietra...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB