UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss wall not level in dormer need to tile on to it - best substrate. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tonytiger

Hello all. I have been browsing for a while but can't seem to get the info i need so I think t is time to ask. Hope someone can help.

I am refitting my bathroom. I have a lifetime of of DIY experience but am a DIYer not a pro. Money is tight at the mo, and so I can't afford to hire a tiler, (or plumber, or plasterer) but am happy to do the work myself.

I am tiling floor to ceiling and all the walls except one are level. The wall behind the bath is in a dormer, and where the dormer meets the original wall it dips in 10mm from start to finish, over a diagonal length of about 1000mm. I have tried to compensate first by leveling off with boninding then i read that this was no good to tile on, so i chipped it and the old plasterboard off. Then i put new board up, but slope is there. So first question - is this a problem? Tiles are 600 x 300 porcelain. If it is a problem what should i use to render wall to make it match the other wall. I was thinking of finishing plaster but have also seen posts about using sand and cement.

Thanks in advance for any help.

T

tonytiger

Thanks for the replies.

OK so i have taken off the board packed out the studs and put the board back on - This has helped a lot, but the two walls are still not flush with each other. However the fault it seems lies with the wall that the cheeks are built on to. I can't bring the board on the cheeks out any more as once i have tiled it, i will be left with no window frame. So i have decided to skim a portion of the other wall to make it match the cheeks. My question then is what should i use to skim with? It will be up to 7mm in a couple of places. I was thinking finish, but not sure with the thickness. I reckon i will only be doing approx 600m wide by 1000mm section.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wall not level in dormer need to tile on to it - best substrate. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hi, so I’m relatively new to tiling. I’ve got a job where the walls aren’t 100% flat but not the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.