Discuss Wall preparation with big holes in plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

marijnkapmf

I would like some advice on how best to prepare a wall before tiling onto it. It's a brick wall with old plaster that has come off in some places when I removed the old tile adhesive (see picture). What is the best way to prepare the wall? I've been doing some research and my initial idea of filling the holes with plaster might not be the best as it will need to dry for ages and may not support the weight of the tiles. Could I fill the holes with tile adhesive, level it all off and tile onto that? Or is it best to strip the wall put up some type of backing board and tile onto that. Would love to know what the experts recommend!

I'm going to use ceramic tiles 9.7 x 9.7 cm. With a weight per tile of 142.5 g this would come to about ~15 kg/m2 if my calculations and scales are correct.

SX20290.jpg

Cheers,

Marijn.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wall preparation with big holes in plaster in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
D
Budget renovation as I just bought the flat. Cavity brick walls, 1 external. Removed old tiles...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm retiling the walls in the pictures which is a shower above a bath - one wall is stripped...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Wall preparation with big holes in plaster
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.