Discuss Wall preparation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

rj1884

Hello. Went to look at a job yesterday. First floor bathroom. The existing wall tiles have been removed from all walls and at some parts the wall had been taken back to the brickwork on both internal and external walls. The walls are due to be plastered today with Driwall and skim finished. The depth of some parts of the wall could be upto 12mm thick.
The crazy thing is is that the guy in charge wants me to start tiling the walls next Wednesday. I told him straight away that that is highly unlikely due to the drying time of the walls. He very persistent but determined to stick to my guns on this one as I don't want to cut corners as I don't want to open a can of worms. I advised him on dot and dab plasterboard but that was quickly turned down.
I obviously want the work but not if it means cutting corners. What would you guys advise on the minimum drying time for this particular scenario before I start tiling. I know they say 2-3 weeks but is there a possibility of starting before that or any other way round it. Again, I don't want to cut corners. Whether its the wrong attitude if rather not due the job at all if it means piece of mind for me.

Thanks in advance.

Hello. Went to look at a job yesterday. First floor bathroom. The existing wall tiles have been removed from all walls and at some parts the wall had been taken back to the brickwork on both internal and external walls. The walls are due to be plastered today with Driwall and skim finished. The depth of some parts of the wall could be upto 12mm thick.
The crazy thing is is that the guy in charge wants me to start tiling the walls next Wednesday. I told him straight away that that is highly unlikely due to the drying time of the walls. He very persistent but determined to stick to my guns on this one as I don't want to cut corners as I don't want to open a can of worms. I advised him on dot and dab plasterboard but that was quickly turned down.
I obviously want the work but not if it means cutting corners. What would you guys advise on the minimum drying time for this particular scenario before I start tiling. I know they say 2-3 weeks but is there a possibility of starting before that or any other way round it. Again, I don't want to cut corners. Whether its the wrong attitude if rather not due the job at all if it means piece of mind for me.

Thanks in advance.

The other crazy thing is he also hasn't got a clue about fixing tiles. Why waste money time and effort skimming a surface that's already suitable for the job? And the way you suggest is guaranteed to meet his timeline?
i'd let him know exactly how the job should be done, and what could happen if you do it his way. You have the experience of fixing tiles so as far as i'm concerned you are the boss! If he still insists on doing it his way do it. Just make sure you get paid as soon as your finished

R

rj1884

Hi all. Thanks for your replies and conformation of what I thought. Whitebeam I meant its hardwall then a skimmed finish. This is one example of the wall that needs plastering.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 37
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wall preparation in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Hope everyone is well. I'm after some advice please. I'm currently having my bathroom tiled...
Replies
Views
Starting to get fed up of the plastic boarding I keep seeing on walls in bathrooms and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would start wit ha little back story. We've both a house where the main bathroom begged...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB