UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss wall problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hutchinsons

heres what i have. presently working on a job and to be honest not the best one to do in the world but what can you do.. anyway.. i have this wall to do in a kitchen, thought it looked damp the customer agreed so i have removed all the plaster right down to the bare brick.sure enough the wall looks wet. cannot tell if its rising damp, or penetrating damp.. deffo no water leaks anywhere.. the customer said just do the best you can..the challenge to you people is.. what next.. how to prep the wall so i can finish the job? cheers Kev

H

hutchinsons

thanks guys .. there was an old bathroom there before so could be an old waste pipe there Kendo1, the floor is concrete so cant get under. the floor is the same level as outside ground level so i was thinking maybe the water is penetrating through ..no no chimney whitebeam but the house has been changed so much..im not going to proceed until it get resolved though. there's so many maybes . i think you're right mike its got to be an expert... cheers people

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Dont put any tiles on the wall until you've got to the source. Your customer says just do the best you can - Will he say the same when the tiles start falling off, I'm sure he won't.

As Mike said get someone in to assess the cause because the customer will be throwing his money away if not.

G

Gazebo

Hi Hutchinsons

I have come across this several times in my area and it's usually due to the external garden/party wall. If this wall is joined into the end of the building and if the party wall or end wall in the house a not cavity then a problem arises.

It could also be that a cavity has been breached and letting moisture pass between the 2 skins of brickwork.

It could be that the dpc has been breached or just perished.

Normally damp proof companies now quote to inject a cream into the wall at 100mm spacings horizontally around the damp area and vertically at wall joints.

Then apply a render coat. Then 2 coats of 'Vandex' or similar.

Then either more render or hardwall then skim. Or dot n dab plasterboard.

Good luck but do get it sorted before any further work is undertaken.

Gary

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wall problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
    • Useful
Hi, Im looking for a recommendation for a liquid tanking. I have to use a liquid tanking...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.