UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Wall-with-hole-prep two weeks ahead of tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mirjam

Hi there all tilers!

My old plastered kitchen wall has two holes in it. The larger one is 5x15cm and goes all the way down to the brick. There are also quite many shallower imperfections in the wall. I wonder what the best way and material would be for fixing this. I must start tiling at the latest in two weeks. I have a tiny bit of experience with plastering and thought of filling up the deep holes with browning and skim the whole wall but I read plastering needs at least 4 weeks before you can tile on it. Can I use light weight compound?

The tiles will be 15x15x0.3cm ceramic ones, the adhesive BAL white star.
This is my first tiling project.

I would be really grateful for your help
Mirjam

M

Mirjam

Thank you so much for your answers! How quick you are! :smiley2:

The deepest place is 40mm but the rest is mostly 20-30.

We don't have any plaster board at home so I think I'll go with the adhesive + tile option. Would floor adhesive (BAL gold star) do? How long do you reckon it takes to dry? I'll start as late as possible because we'll use the kitchen till then.

There are some other problems with the walls. A large masonry larder was taken out in the past and the material used to fix up the walls must have been unsuitable because these places (3 floor to ceiling 10cm wide strips) are a bit dusty and on some places I can even make a mark with the finger nail. I planned to scrape/brush out what would come loose and then smoothen it over with something. Could I use the adhesive here again? There is a picture of this below. The soft part is to the right of the crack.

What about light weight? Is that at all possible to use beneath tiling? Is a skim plaster coat a bad thing in general (the rest of the walls have small pits as well) or is it just slow drying?

When we took off the previous tiles they fell off very easily. There was only a small blob of adhesive on the back of most tiles and I assumed that was why they didn't stick well. Also, there were big patches of glossy paint beneath the tiles which I thought was another reason. A horror thought came to me now though, what if the walls themselves are not suitable! Apart from the dusty bits I described earlier the walls seem perfectly solid if not always smooth. The skirting boards were in a bad state so the kitchen must at some point (it measures at the most 0.6 now) have been damp... I get more worried the more I think about it..:helpsmilie:

Thanks in advance for any advice

DSCF7544.jpg

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Wall-with-hole-prep two weeks ahead of tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
I am refitting the bathroom, and have removed the (two layers of) tiles but unfortunately not...
Replies
Views
HI, Excuse the length and new thread, but it reads super fast. I could use some advice. There...
Replies
Views
eric123
E
Hello, I would start wit ha little back story. We've both a house where the main bathroom begged...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.