UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss want to start tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dunbarr1

Ok I have decided that i want to do a tiling course and the centre i was interested in was chase tiling because they now offer the NVQ qualification.
only problem is i have a mortgage and my girlfriend dont really like the idea of me giving up my job which i can see why.
my job isnt the best paid only £15,000 a year so its not like im giving up sumet great just basic office work.

so my question is would i struggle to earn this in my first year beacuse thats the least I could possible earn to keep on top of my mortage payments?

any advice from new or experinced tilers welcome.

Thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Hiya mate,

It's always a struggle to setup a new business and get your name established let alone get your skills tweaked and speed up to scratch.

I'd recommend doing a course, do a few friends and family jobs for free/cheap rates at night and weekends, then start to put your name about and as work comes in you'll know if its safe to quit your job.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side though mate, it can be hard work to clear 15k in your first couple of years if you haven't got the work coming in so I'd concentrate on that as much as gaining your skill and speed.

Good Luck whatever way you choose to go though mate.

C

Concept PHT

Best way to go into business, is with minimum debt and a good plan for the future - where you want to be. Then stick to it.

Read good advice on here about buying tools and listen to your tutors on your course. This will prevent overspending on crap equipment.

15k is well acheivable, plus more if you are good and market yourself right.

And Chase Tiling will put you in the right direction :)

G

GazLC81

I'm in a similar boat too. I am starting my course at Chase next Monday, i'll let you know how it goes if you want some feedback.

I work for myself as a Gardener at eh moment but want something that can bring in more money.

I know a guy that did a course last year and has made £60k in his first year! Don't ask how but I guess it can be done if you go at it the right way!

Goodluck to you.

Gaz

PS I went to look at the facilities at Chase and had a chat with Phil, put my mind at rest that I was doing the right thing!

C

Concept PHT

I'm in a similar boat too. I am starting my course at Chase next Monday, i'll let you know how it goes if you want some feedback.

I work for myself as a Gardener at eh moment but want something that can bring in more money.

I know a guy that did a course last year and has made £60k in his first year! Don't ask how but I guess it can be done if you go at it the right way!

Goodluck to you.

Gaz

PS I went to look at the facilities at Chase and had a chat with Phil, put my mind at rest that I was doing the right thing!
Good luck on your course mate - probably see you up there as I drink the worlds coffee up there :)

D

dunbarr1

Goodluck to you.

Gaz

Cheers mate,

Yeah defiently keep me updated with how things are going, seems as alot of people are in the same situation as me! Surpose you gotta quit moaning and just go for it! 60k souns nice i wud settle for 15k.

if you market your self right anything is achievable.

G

GazLC81

seems as alot of people are in the same situation as me! Surpose you gotta quit moaning and just go for it! 60k souns nice i wud settle for 15k.

if you market your self right anything is achievable.

I agree, i will be delighted with £15k in my first year. They say the first 3 years are the hardest and a lot of businesses go under in that period. If I can get past my first 3 years (which I don't see why not) then hopefully I can start to earn some real money.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to want to start tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
Hi Just after any advice on starting up as a tiler , same old stuck in a dead end boring job...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Hoping that once again I can get some good advice on here, you were invaluable when...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.