Discuss Warning! Rant alert.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Daz

I quoted a job at the weekend which was specified as 900 x 600 x 20mm crema marble.

Through conversation, it was clear that the customer was still unsure about the marble so I advised that they visit a few local stone suppliers to be sure that they are happy with there choice.

They contacted me today to advise that they are now going to have 20mm thick limestone and they want me to do the job. However, the customer decided to have a dig about my pricing.......

I quoted £38 per sqm to include all materials and the customer reckoned that he had been quoted half my price :yikes::yikes:.

I told him that as he has chosen limestone, I will need to spend a day sealing the stones prior to tiling, so I will now be adding another days money to cover the aggro :lol:.

I got the job, but why do idiots choose to quote so cheap? Clearly, the other tilers that have quoted have realised that the job is far too much for them but instead of holding their hands up they have put in a stupid price. I think my price is more than fair, possibly on the cheap side, and yet I was the most expensive quote!! What is going on???:incazzato::incazzato::incazzato:

P

Pebbs

You know the saying pay peanuts get monkeys, your price is to low to my mind, but our overheads are diff. If some baboon has quoted half of that, then they obviously do a costing breakdown because they would soon find out they would be working for very little. However, and you bear this in mind, your customer could be telling a few fibs, so be on your guard now, I hope this isent the same customer who is questioning the need for decoupling membrane, if so you watch out, you could be in for a rough ride.

Lynn

A

Aston

i would'nt take it to heart mate....desperate times yield desperate measures = desperate prices lol,,,you got the job so they obviously seen something in you that they didnt see in the others....i think thats a compliment to you :thumbsup: and it just goes to prove that although people maybe dont have as much money to blow as they did in the easy borrowing times of the early millenium, but they want to make sure they get it right in this harsh economical climate!!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Pebbs

Just as a side note, to other companies pricing, I put a quote in on Tuesday for a hotel re-fit. The surveyor rang me back and said how much are you paying for the marble? (base cost) I said £135.00m2 plus transport from the quarry in Italy. He said some idiot from another firm has quoted £125.00m2 supply and fix! I said if thats the case, bite his hand of now and get the contract over to him! He wont lose much its only 1700m2!!!

It does me good to have a chuckle.

Lynn

Reply to Warning! Rant alert.. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Warning! Rant alert..
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.