Discuss Water ingress into newly laid tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

spholmes82

Hi

I'm after some advice on water ingress in our newly built shower enclosure.

I've stuck ceramic tiles from Homebase (Lyssia white mosaic tiles - can't post a link!) onto 12.5 mm Marmox boards (which are in turn attached to a stud wall, on e of which is external) using Mapei Keraquick tile adhesive. I've then grouted using Mapei Ultracolour grout (Manhattan grey). The corners/shower tray lip/shower enclosure have been sealed using Dow Corning Silicone and the whole installation was left for at least 48 hours before first wetting.

The tiles have 'grout channels' (i.e., channels cut through the glaze into the ceramic body of the tile) which criss-cross the tile so that when it's grouted it looks like a mosaic. The problem we have is that after the first use, a lot of the tiles have turned grey around these channels as water is soaking in through the grout/a very thin area of exposed ceramic that the grout hasn't covered. I've laid an un-grouted tile down on a tray so that only the front (glazed) surface is in contact with water and sure enough, the back of the tile was entirely wet within a couple of minutes.

So, in summary, I know that some of the tiles are at least partially wet through and are likely to remain so as only the front face will be aired. I have a couple of questions regarding my options:

1. Will the adhesive eventually fail? - it's cement based, not pre-mixed.
2. Will grout sealing help at all (I'm guessing not).
3. Will raking out and re-applying epoxy grout be an option
4. Is rip it all down and start again with different tiles the best option?
5. Why me? :)

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer, I've found the forum mega-helpful during this project!

S

spholmes82

I can't find any specs for them but by what your saying I wouldn't have thought they were suitable for a shower / wet environment ? Hard to tell what method would work, can you post some pictures.

Hi Alan, not sure how to post photos, but have tried here and added an image of the project to the post?

2013-03-30 10.38.31.jpg 2013-03-30 16.50.46.jpg 2013-03-30 10.38.31.jpg 2013-03-30 16.50.46.jpg In addition, it seems that one wall where I struggled to remove the grout due to leaving it a bit too long is much better and almost free of ingress. I think the grout is thicker and maybe covers the thin strip of exposed ceramic? I've looked on the Homebase website and dropped them an email. It says nothing on their website other than 'wall tile', no data sheet or anything, but I should have checked all the same!

Maybe I could dry it out, rake out a couple of millimetres of grout and re-apply, making sure I'm a bit more generous this time? The thought of tearing them down and putting them up again for a second time (advised on the wrong adhesive first time) is killing me!

Thanks

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Water ingress into newly laid tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
I have started to notice a wet pattern look on my Porcelanosa Marmol Carrara Blanco bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB